The Student Room Group

Does anyone get social anxiety?

I am too nervous to speak up in social settings so I retreat into a shell. Even though I have things I want to say I don't say them. I just go quiet and get anxious. This is especially with people in authority. Anyone
else?

Scroll to see replies

no because I'm a cute little squirrel with fur
Yes. Not with people in authority, but when I'm anywhere where there are a lot of people or anyone I don't know.
Original post by iamintorture
I am too nervous to speak up in social settings so I retreat into a shell. Even though I have things I want to say I don't say them. I just go quiet and get anxious. This is especially with people in authority. Anyone
else?

I think you will find that actually, most people feel like this, especially in their teenage years. Its perfectly normal and nothing to worry about. The good news is that this is something you grow out of.

Social anxiety is something more serious and extreme that the symptoms you describe. Its very rare and requires medical/psychiatric assistance.
Reply 4
Only with certain people which is strange... I have no problem giving public speeches and generally initiate conversation since people are so damn shy, but around certain people I struggle.
Yeah, but the way I cope with it is by talking too much. :innocent:
Original post by cole-slaw

Social anxiety is something more serious and extreme that the symptoms you describe. Its very rare and requires medical/psychiatric assistance.

Wow. I agree with Cole, lol
Reply 7
Its very rare and requires medical/psychiatric assistance.

It's not "very rare".

Social anxiety as trepidation and concern about social encounters is a very common and distressing condition reported by as many as 40% of the general population. Edelmann 1992

Social Anxiety Disorder is estimated to affect between 10% and 15% of subjects in the community at some time in their lives.
Reply 8
Original post by Chlorophile
Yes. Not with people in authority, but when I'm anywhere where there are a lot of people or anyone I don't know.

Come on everyone come on!

Can we have a round of applause for Chlorophile for his brave honesty in opening up to the group? :smile:
Yeah
Original post by nohomo
Come on everyone come on!

Can we have a round of applause for Chlorophile for his brave honesty in opening up to the group? :smile:

Thanks for giving me an excuse!

[video="youtube;IxAKFlpdcfc"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxAKFlpdcfc[/video]
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
Wow. I agree with Cole, lol

I know. I thought he a universal idiot.
Reply 12
Original post by james1211
It's not "very rare".

The first stat might be because of misconceptions about social phobia.

My psychiatrist said that lots of people say they have it because they hate public speaking, but this is not used to diagnose it, because apparently a significant percentage of people (I've forgotten what it was sorry) fear public speaking more than death.

I got diagnosed because I was mute in high school and wouldn't leave my room when visitors came over and sometimes would hide from close family...is your second stat for the cases that make it past a GP to a psychiatrist? Could be wrong but I imagine only rare severe cases make it that far...perhaps I just wanna be speshul idk
(edited 9 years ago)
It's not "very rare".

you are erroneously conflating the colloquial and medical terms.

General anxiety about social situations, as described by OP, and referred to by Edelmann, is extremely common (far more common than 40% I would argue), but in general, is not particularly serious or permanently debilitating.

Social Anxiety Disorder aka Social phobia is genuinely serious and is genuinely rare, and requires medical intervention.

Try this, and be honest, don't overestimate.

http://psychology-tools.com/spin/
Original post by nohomo
The first stat might be because of misconceptions about social phobia.

My psychiatrist said that lots of people say they have it because they hate public speaking, but this is not used to diagnose it, because apparently a significant percentage of people (I've forgotten what it was sorry) fear public speaking more than death.

I got diagnosed because I was mute in high school and wouldn't leave my room when visitors came over and sometimes would hide from close family...is your second stat for the cases that make it past a GP to a psychiatrist? Could be wrong but I imagine only rare severe cases make it that far...perhaps I just wanna be speshul idk

lmao, I do not fear death or public speaking, but sometimes I get all irrational speaking to pretty girls :/, possibly the most shallow and annoying thing ever, can't seem to conquer it though.
Original post by squirrelman
no because I'm a cute little squirrel with fur

Good commitment to keeping in character, well done.
Reply 16
you are erroneously conflating the colloquial and medical terms.

General anxiety about social situations, as described by OP, and referred to by Edelmann, is extremely common (far more common than 40% I would argue), but in general, is not particularly serious or permanently debilitating.

Social Anxiety Disorder aka Social phobia is genuinely serious and is genuinely rare, and requires medical intervention.

Try this, and be honest, don't overestimate.

http://psychology-tools.com/spin/

Why are you having me try this? I never claimed to have the illness myself...
i guess i kind of am, large group situations are the worst for me and i went through a brief phase of not talking in school a while back :s-smilie:

edit - tried that test and got 54
Original post by DErasmus
lmao, I do not fear death or public speaking, but sometimes I get all irrational speaking to pretty girls :/, possibly the most shallow and annoying thing ever, can't seem to conquer it though.

With practice, you learn to not even notice how pretty they are. Then its easy to talk to them.

Also, back yourself. They might be vaguely pretty but you're a ****ing incredible handsome stud who they're lucky to have the chance to try and impress.

My missus calls this the arrogance shield. :biggrin:
Why are you having me try this? I never claimed to have the illness myself...

**** me, so that is at least two of us on TSR.

Quick Reply

Latest