The Student Room Group

Spacing in personal statements?

Is there a right way?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
I did it how you've done it - I hope that's right!
I personally would do it the way you have already as spacing out your paragraphs will make reading it a whole lot easier for admissions staff. The only time I would do it the way your friends have is if I found it impossible to stick to the line limit while putting everything I want into my personal statement.
Reply 3
Personally I find that information on stuff like this is very hard to get straight... I remember someone on here saying that UCAS doesn't work through winks and handshakes - yeah right! Anyway, I put spaces between them as I'm not sure how exactly it is formatted after you send it.
Spaces between paragraphs makes it a lot easier to read
I did not put spaces between paragraphs and I have 3 offers already. But I think it does look better with spaces, but it costs you lines/characters.
Admissions like the statements that make their lives easier. They'll be reading dozens a day and you want yours to be one of the ones that they don't want to cry about. Use spacing if you can. It makes you look considerate and shows you've really thought about how you present your information.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
When I applied to Vet Med last year I didn't put extra lines in and got all four interviews. This year I'm applying to Biochem, haven't used extra lines and have three offers and an interview so far. So it hasn't done me too much harm yet.

I did it like that on the advice of the head of careers at my school, which sends many many people to Oxbridge and/or Medicine, Law etc. each year. While I agree it does make reading marginally easier, in my opinion it is worth it to use the extra space for something which adds value to the statement.
Space it out.
Reply 9
Definitely use spacing and also try to mix up the start of each sentence.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending