The Student Room Group

Do you think I can get into Oxford GDL. I'd like to work for Freshfields Solicitor

Hello,
I just wanted to know if it is possible for me to get into the GDL, and how hard is it?
- I went to Harvard took neuroscience, finishing this year
- I have banking and legal experience- not extensive at all
- I had a 3.8 GPA/ 4.0 GPA
- extracurriculars in Canadian politics
How competitive is this program, does anyone know? How much weight is put into the personal statement.
they told me that 100/ 160 students got accepted so the ratio does not look too bad.
I would like to work for Freshfields as a solicitor
I would truly appreciate any guidance as i'm very nervous and did not apply anywhere else
- also does anyone have any idea about how well this degree will be recognized if i'd like to practice in NYC?

thanks!
Firstly, I don't think Oxford cares about GPAs much because we don't have them in the UK
Secondly, I'm almost certain you would need to re qualify to practice in the US - you have to when you come from the US to the UK.
However, since I'm still in high school I'm just telling you what I've heard when I've enquired about becoming a lawyer

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oxford doesn't offer the GDL

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
wait a minute.. my councilor mislead me!
Reply 5

Same city but a different university altogether.
Oxford doesn't do a GDL, however, they do have a two-year accelerated law degree for those who already have an undergraduate degree:
http://www.law.ox.ac.uk/postgraduate/senior.php

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sanis4
Hello,
I just wanted to know if it is possible for me to get into the GDL, and how hard is it?
- I went to Harvard took neuroscience, finishing this year
- I have banking and legal experience- not extensive at all
- I had a 3.8 GPA/ 4.0 GPA
- extracurriculars in Canadian politics
How competitive is this program, does anyone know? How much weight is put into the personal statement.
they told me that 100/ 160 students got accepted so the ratio does not look too bad.
I would like to work for Freshfields as a solicitor
I would truly appreciate any guidance as i'm very nervous and did not apply anywhere else
- also does anyone have any idea about how well this degree will be recognized if i'd like to practice in NYC?

thanks!

1. Oxford doesn't do a GDL; HeavyTeddy correctly points out that there is a senior status law degree for students who already have a BA. That will take you 2 years (or 2 years and a term) and is only offered at certain colleges.

2. If you are applying for the senior status, Oxford tends to put little emphasis on the personal statement. Your grades, LNAT, tutor's reference and interview(s) are important.

3. Out of curiosity, why particularly Freshfields? Also, if you're interested in working in NY, you might be better off starting there right away - UK qualification requires 1 year of LPC (after your GDL/ Law degree), and then 2 years of training. There's no guarantee that you can get a secondment to a US office permanently thereafter. Look into requirements for the NY Bar - I'm fairly certain the full 3 year BA fulfills the requirements, but I'm not so sure about the senior status or GDL.
Original post by nmnorgan305
Firstly, I don't think Oxford cares about GPAs much because we don't have them in the UK
Secondly, I'm almost certain you would need to re qualify to practice in the US - you have to when you come from the US to the UK.
However, since I'm still in high school I'm just telling you what I've heard when I've enquired about becoming a lawyer

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oxford has a GPA requirement because American universities don't have class honours.

This is Oxford Brookes University, a former polytechnic college that has never had anything to do with The University of Oxford.
Original post by clh_hilary
This is Oxford Brookes University, a former polytechnic college that has never had anything to do with The University of Oxford.

Prior to 2010 the Oxford Institute of Legal Practice, which taught for the LPC but not the GDL, was a joint institute of Oxford and Brookes.
Original post by nulli tertius
Prior to 2010 the Oxford Institute of Legal Practice, which taught for the LPC but not the GDL, was a joint institute of Oxford and Brookes.

The link links to Brookes, and the Institute still would've been quite different from calling it 'Brookes Campus'.
The link links to Brookes, and the Institute still would've been quite different from calling it 'Brookes Campus'.

Yes. The OP has undoubtedly been led up the garden path.

I was merely picking up that the institutions are not quite as detached from one another as your post implied.
Yes. The OP has undoubtedly been led up the garden path.

I was merely picking up that the institutions are not quite as detached from one another as your post implied.

Well, they also have a number of other academic exchanges, including having evaluation and things like that, but 'Brookes campus' takes the cake.
Well, they also have a number of other academic exchanges, including having evaluation and things like that, but 'Brookes campus' takes the cake.

There are common courses as well. Oxford's Postgraduate Certificate in Architectural History comprises part of Brookes' MSc in Historic Conservation.
There are common courses as well. Oxford's Postgraduate Certificate in Architectural History comprises part of Brookes' MSc in Historic Conservation.

Do they have classes at Oxford Brookes University's Magdalen campus?
Do they have classes at Oxford Brookes University's Magdalen campus?

As you well know Oxford University can be found in Wellington Square and that is where they have classes. :tongue:
As you well know Oxford University can be found in Wellington Square and that is where they have classes. :tongue:

Perhaps I should start selling coffees to those students from my flat at Wellington Square then.
Reply 18
thank you so much everyone for every response! i'm just saying screw it and aiming for NYC!
Original post by sanis4
thank you so much everyone for every response! i'm just saying screw it and aiming for NYC!

Good shout :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending