The Student Room Group

PGCE Secondary Mathematics + Questions

Just wanted know who else was applying for secondary mathematics and at which universities? Or maybe going down the school direct route..

I haven't found many people on here wanting to do the same course yet!

Also, would be nice to know what degrees you graduated with too. Having graduated with an Accounting and Finance degree I'm pretty sure I'll have to do an SKE.

If theres anyone on the course at the moment, would be good to know how its going so far and what the interview process was like for you. I'm still unsure what universities I'm going to apply for or whether I will be going down the school direct route!

Lastly, I saw in another thread that it's good to do your PGCE in the city that you would like to teach in the future, and that some people have found it hard to get jobs in other cities. Is that true? As I'm from Manchester originally, but would love to live and work in London in the near future. Would it be better to apply to all London unis? or mix it up between Manchester and London? Living at home in Manchester is just more convenient, but I have no problem moving to London next year if it was a must.

Sorry for the essay :smile:

Thanks in advance :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by noorii
Just wanted know who else was applying for secondary mathematics and at which universities? Or maybe going down the school direct route..

I haven't found many people on here wanting to do the same course yet!

Also, would be nice to know what degrees you graduated with too. Having graduated with an Accounting and Finance degree I'm pretty sure I'll have to do an SKE.

If theres anyone on the course at the moment, would be good to know how its going so far and what the interview process was like for you. I'm still unsure what universities I'm going to apply for or whether I will be going down the school direct route!

Lastly, I saw in another thread that it's good to do your PGCE in the city that you would like to teach in the future, and that some people have found it hard to get jobs in other cities. Is that true? As I'm from Manchester originally, but would love to live and work in London in the near future. Would it be better to apply to all London unis? or mix it up between Manchester and London? Living at home in Manchester is just more convenient, but I have no problem moving to London next year if it was a must.

Sorry for the essay :smile:

Thanks in advance :smile:

I know a number of maths teachers with Accounting degrees who were not required to do a SKE or were just asked to do a two week course. Basically the universities are desperate and will snap you up so long as you don't do or say anything that sets alarm bells ringing. It is pretty easy to get a job anywhere as a maths teacher so the normal rule about training where you want to work does not apply.
Reply 2
Original post by Mr M
I know a number of maths teachers with Accounting degrees who were not required to do a SKE or were just asked to do a two week course. Basically the universities are desperate and will snap you up so long as you don't do or say anything that sets alarm bells ringing. It is pretty easy to get a job anywhere as a maths teacher so the normal rule about training where you want to work does not apply.

Great! Thanks for the response!

Do you know which places offer 2 week SKEs? The universities I've looked at require you to do an SKE course from January to June-ish and thats their only option!
Original post by noorii
Great! Thanks for the response!

Do you know which places offer 2 week SKEs? The universities I've looked at require you to do an SKE course from January to June-ish and thats their only option!

You'll have to do some research. This was the first link in Google.
Reply 4
Original post by Mr M
You'll have to do some research. This was the first link in Google.

Thank you! :smile:
I'm in my final year doing Sport science .. Aiming for a 2:1

Applying for PGCE Maths and school direct

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by jameslad

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nice! Any idea what universities you'll be applying to?
PGCE at Newman and UoB.

Third is a school direct

What about yourself?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
PGCE at Newman and UoB.

Third is a school direct

What about yourself?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not quite sure yet but I'm thinking University of Manchester and 2 school directs.
I'm sure you'll be fine, I remember teaching my mentor how to simplify surds, add them and rationalise them.

As well as vectors and inverse proportion.

It'll probably make you a better teacher though not being so good at mathematics as I many topics I taught the things that I thought were easy ended up being difficult for students........ And I overestimated their quickness to understand it many times...........

While my mentor was great at teaching the pupils these things because she had to work to understand them as well.

Teaching A Level though will take you a while to get up to scratch. I was a little bit surprised on my course that someone had never differentiated before.....Then again there was someone who came from a forensic science degree. Great teachers though but I was amazed at their lack of mathematical knowledge beyond post 16.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by Broadhallian
I'm sure you'll be fine, I remember teaching my mentor how to simplify surds, add them and rationalise them.

As well as vectors and inverse proportion.

It'll probably make you a better teacher though not being so good at mathematics as I many topics I taught the things that I thought were easy ended up being difficult for students........ And I overestimated their quickness to understand it many times...........

While my mentor was great at teaching the pupils these things because she had to work to understand them as well.

Teaching A Level though will take you a while to get up to scratch. I was a little bit surprised on my course that someone had never differentiated before.....Then again there was someone who came from a forensic science degree. Great teachers though but I was amazed at their lack of mathematical knowledge beyond post 16.

I would have thought that at least a B in A-level maths was a must in order to do secondary mathematics as a PGCE?
Original post by noorii
I would have thought that at least a B in A-level maths was a must in order to do secondary mathematics as a PGCE?

Unfortunately it isn't.
Hi guys :smile: I am also applying for Maths Teacher Training for Sept 2015, i'm looking at applying to Cambridge, Sheffield Uni and Nottingham Uni, is anyone else thinking of applying there? :smile: I'm currently studying Maths with Study in Europe and aiming to get a 1st. Hoping to get my application sent off tonight when i've decided my choices 100%!
Original post by Mr M
I know a number of maths teachers with Accounting degrees who were not required to do a SKE or were just asked to do a two week course. 1.Basically the universities are desperate and will snap you up so long as you 2.don't do or say anything that sets alarm bells ringing. 3.It is pretty easy to get a job anywhere as a maths teacher so the normal rule about training where you want to work does not apply.

1. Please laborate, my dear.

2. Such as?

3. You mean that out of 4 jobs applications, you will eventually get 3 job offers anywhere? Does this also happen with all the other shortage subjects (physics, chemistry and languages)?

Posted from TSR Mobile

How come you don't want to teach P.E.? And where will you get your subject knowledge from? Maths is not related to Sports Science. Don't training providers care about it?
Original post by Mr M
Unfortunately it isn't.

Why? :frown:
Original post by Juichiro
1. Please laborate, my dear.

2. Such as?

3. You mean that out of 4 jobs applications, you will eventually get 3 job offers anywhere? Does this also happen with all the other shortage subjects (physics, chemistry and languages)?

Do you mean elaborate?

2. Say "I despise children and I'm only in it for the holidays and the money".

3. I didn't come up with those numbers but they sound reasonable. Physics is the same. Chemistry less so. I don't really know the situation with Languages.
Original post by Juichiro
Why? :frown:

Why do you not have to be very well qualified to teach mathematics? There is a shortage of people willing to do it.
Original post by Mr M
Do you mean elaborate?

2. Say "I despise children and I'm only in it for the holidays and the money".

3. I didn't come up with those numbers but they sound reasonable. Physics is the same. Chemistry less so. I don't really know the situation with Languages.

Yeah, I meant elaborate. I need to press that 'e' really hard. :tongue:

2. I don't think an applicant would say that.

3. I see. :smile:
Cos Maths is a shortage right now, providers are willing to take people in who did maths in a level at least and must hold a degree (doesn't have to be maths related) Also, they offer subject knowledge courses which vary from 2 weeks to 9 months.

I know people who are on maths ITT courses who hold degrees in ancient history... Geography and even psychology

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending