The Student Room Group

Would doing one science at A level be okay if you want to do nursing at uni?

I'm doing biology and the rest are social sciences.
Reply 1
Original post by dimpls
I'm doing biology and the rest are social sciences.

Yeah should be fine :biggrin: I would recommend going on some uni websites just to confirm for example Edinburgh, Nottingham, London South Bank. A good range just to make sure you don't rule any future courses out.
Reply 2
Original post by Mel1312
Yeah should be fine :biggrin: I would recommend going on some uni websites just to confirm for example Edinburgh, Nottingham, London South Bank. A good range just to make sure you don't rule any future courses out.

Manchester uni do courses for Adult, Children and Mental health nursing :s-smilie: What about nursing involved with taking care of people of any age?
Reply 3
Original post by dimpls
Manchester uni do courses for Adult, Children and Mental health nursing :s-smilie: What about nursing involved with taking care of people of any age?

There aren't any from what I know unfortunately due to placement options etc and the different amounts of knowledge needed per branch. So you'll probably have to pick one when applying to uni. Get some work experience in as many branches, do a bit of wider reading and see which one suits you.
Reply 4
I've recently wanted to go into either mental or children nursing but stupidly haven't done a A-Level science nor did I pass my GCSE science because I didn't think I'd want to go into anything medical.
I was looking into Queens university (in NI) and they ask for just one so I'm sure you'll be fine just doing one! :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Mel1312
There aren't any from what I know unfortunately due to placement options etc and the different amounts of knowledge needed per branch. So you'll probably have to pick one when applying to uni. Get some work experience in as many branches, do a bit of wider reading and see which one suits you.

Okay, thanks for the help:smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Lottie97
I've recently wanted to go into either mental or children nursing but stupidly haven't done a A-Level science nor did I pass my GCSE science because I didn't think I'd want to go into anything medical.
I was looking into Queens university (in NI) and they ask for just one so I'm sure you'll be fine just doing one! :smile:

Thank you:smile:
Reply 7
Original post by dimpls
Okay, thanks for the help:smile:
No worries :biggrin:
Reply 8
Original post by dimpls
Thank you:smile:

Not a problem, best of luck! :biggrin:
Original post by dimpls

Nursing in Europe is organised on a 'branch' basis.

the four Nursing branches are

Adult
Children
Mental Health
Learning Disability

you recieve some exposure to the other branches during pre-reg.

there are a few dual registration courses but these are 4 or 4.5 years in duration reflecting the additional placement hours required to demonstrate the competencies required across 2 branches.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending