The Student Room Group

How old are you, where do you work and how much do you get paid?

Scroll to see replies

Work at my school
£10 an hour

Posted from TSR Mobile
Self employed
I work very selective hours (not many, I choose the days), around 50/h
Original post by Zoe1999
15. Local pub. £5 p/h:smile:

I am shocked that they allow you to work in a pub if you are only 15.
I have been offered a job at Sports Direct, just waiting on a induction date..I am 22 and will be on £6.50 ph.
I am 21, Cambridge, £14430pa pro rata
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by FuelBowser
23. Middlesex, £28,000 a year

Original post by Le Nombre
23, a law firm, £45k.

Original post by Crazy92
£60,000, Trading Floor in London, 22

Original post by Motorbiker
23, engineering and electronic company, in the mid £20s k per year

Original post by chazwomaq
34, university, 42k p/a.

Original post by *Interrobang*
27, getting a bursary of £16k/year for a postgraduate course that will qualify me for a job (the ONLY way to qualify for the job) that will pay approx. £33k when I start.

Original post by sr90
23, work for a finance company, 19k p/a (will increase when i've been fully trained).

Original post by Olderandwiser23
24, a university, >£35,000

Original post by xx-Samantha-xx
23, well 24 in a few weeks
£21,400ish a year. Staff Nurse (Critical Care) :biggrin:

Original post by lolololol
23, teacher, 27k

Original post by David81
33 and getting a £20K bursary (maths PGCE/SCITT). Should be on £27k + when I'm an NQT

I am 27 and on £35k pa as a Senior Design Engineer for JCB.

Thought I would pull together some of the posts by older members (that's me then!) obviously the type of works effect pay a lot, as does that amount of training your getting at the time.

I graduated at 23 from mechanical engineering and went into a job at the company I did my sandwich year at as a graduate design engineer, graduates who has done the placement year started on more. £25.5k for B.Eng £26.k for Masters students.

I then got around 4% year on year in line with company standard increase, so £27.5k £29k £30k. I then did 6months overseas and came back to a payrise to £35k.
On top of that I get a chrismas bonus of around £500, an a bursary payment of 1/5th of my student fees for the first five years, which is around £1100. I also got £10/night allowance while overseas for the 6months which is about 10% relocation/hardship.

There is often hesitation to enquire or share your pay, which for me then makes it hard to work out if you are on a good deal or should be on more, as even harder to know what you might get in the future or what roles might pay better than others. Hence sharing the above in case its useful to anyone else so see what a fairly run of the mill graduate engineer if getting and how that has changed over the last four years.

Daniel
Reply 186
Perhaps more people would be willing to share salaries if this were anonymous. Less incentive for the trolls as well :wink:
Posted from TSR Mobile

Internet Marketing

17, £100+ per day

I am my own boss :smile: Work smart, not hard
Original post by samanthad8
I am shocked that they allow you to work in a pub if you are only 15.

It's legal up to a certain time of night, as long as they're not serving alcohol. Sort of things like glass collecting, washing up, stacking etc is permitted under 18. If it's a pub that sells food you can also do waiting, collecting plates, serving food etc.
Reply 189
18, TfL, £8.70 ph

Been working since I was 16 and initially started on £8.55...but the 15p increase was a welcomed addition to my weekly pay cheque :P
Reply 190
Original post by Obiejess
15, teashop/cafe, £10 for 7 hours work

:yy:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nope, the joys of working pre-minimum wage age.
Work for a pittance or don't have a job - those are your options.

i would rather take the 7 hours free time than earn £10
are you a masochist by any chance
20, Next, £5.84p/h. Not great but it will go up after 6 months and from then it's reviewed annually. Plus you get quite a few bonuses, 25% discount, 75% discount twice per year for work uniform (my limit on the 75% discount is around £350 per year). Voluntary work £0p/h (lots of that) and freelance writing between £40 and £150 per article.
Reply 192
Original post by rsdntbplr
20, Next, £5.84p/h. Not great but it will go up after 6 months and from then it's reviewed annually. Plus you get quite a few bonuses, 25% discount, 75% discount twice per year for work uniform (my limit on the 75% discount is around £350 per year). Voluntary work £0p/h (lots of that) and freelance writing between £40 and £150 per article.

If you don't mind me asking, who are you doing the freelance writing work through/for? I was interested a while back but then had other commitments.
I'm considering going for it whilst at Uni this time around.
Original post by Kaiju
i would rather take the 7 hours free time than earn £10
are you a masochist by any chance

No. Just trying to get work experience so that when I apply for a better saturday job I can say I've already worked somewhere and supply a reference.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 194
No. Just trying to get work experience so that when I apply for a better saturday job I can say I've already worked somewhere and supply a reference.

Posted from TSR Mobile

i guess it'll put you in a really strong position, that's fair enough

i'm mostly just lazy
Reply 195
17, community library, £8 an hour
Reply 196
Original post by Michael_98
Work at my school
£10 an hour

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ooh.. What does that require you doing?

Whatever it is I'm surprised that they are offering you money for it.. I would have thought that they would have made you do it for free in return for having the pleasure of adding the the extra stuff on your CV..
Tesco, 17, £7.02 an hour and time and half on sundays :smile:
Original post by taeyangie
Okay thanks for the advice, I'm still at Sixth Form so obviously my working hours would be very limited. So could you give me an idea of how the working hours and shifts work for you please?

sorry for late reply, been so busy. They work around your timetable, I'm currently on a 16 hour contract, but I specified that I preferred weekends and evenings.

If I were you, I wouldn't work during sixth form, those grades are soo important, I still have employers asking me what I received for my A-levels when I enquire about Graduate Schemes. It's best to focus on your studies, you have all summer next year to work.
Original post by alis-volatpropriis
sorry for late reply, been so busy. They work around your timetable, I'm currently on a 16 hour contract, but I specified that I preferred weekends and evenings.

If I were you, I wouldn't work during sixth form, those grades are soo important, I still have employers asking me what I received for my A-levels when I enquire about Graduate Schemes. It's best to focus on your studies, you have all summer next year to work.

It's fine, and I guess this is the most important year so yeah, I think I'll take your advice, thanks a lot:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending