The Student Room Group

am i wrong in not volunteering in a charity shop?

couple of months ago, i had the chance of volunteering in charity shops, and going as far as asking loads of people

but in the end i stopped because quite frankly, what can working in charity shops teach me about medicine or caring for that matter.

after reading a couple of my friends personal statement it looks like they all are doing some volunteer work in charity shop.:eek:

was i wrong in waiting to work with elderly people for now after a couple of moths?

should i have been more pro-active?

Scroll to see replies

Med school like "commitment to voluntary services" a lot. Especially in a care envirnoment, so IMHO yes, you were right to wait, but make sure you mention that you're doing it in your PS.

Besides, if everyone else is doing something, the last thing you want to do is do it as well.
Reply 2
Working with elderly people is much more appropriate voluntary work in my oppinion :smile:
yeah, but do you think i should have still volunteer if only to show a committement or something?
Reply 4
As long as u hav don some sort of volunrary work....charity shop is not essential, and to be honest, helpin the elderly is a lot better and more proacive.

Btw does any1 know how to get the spoiler on their signature???
Reply 5
Well I really hope you get into medicine because your heart's in the right place as regards charity work :rolleyes:
is that sarcasm?

O_o

the greater good my friend, the greater good
Reply 7
Esquire
Well I really hope you get into medicine because your heart's in the right place as regards charity work :rolleyes:

Why should wanting to be a medic require you to also want to work in a charity shop?
Reply 8
my sustained period of voluntary work was in a charity shop. presumably i was up against people who had spent the last three years doing something far more medically related for charity, and i still got a place. i think it depends what you can say about it on your personal statement. provided you can supplement your work at a charity shop with something more 'appropriate'.... but then i don't think i would have stood a chance had i applied to some of the more competitive schools like UCL, Imperial or Nottingham for example.
Reply 9
ant87
my sustained period of voluntary work was in a charity shop. presumably i was up against people who had spent the last three years doing something far more medically related for charity, and i still got a place. i think it depends what you can say about it on your personal statement. provided you can supplement your work at a charity shop with something more 'appropriate'.... but then i don't think i would have stood a chance had i applied to some of the more competitive schools like UCL, Imperial or Nottingham for example.

Many people are finding it seriously difficult to obtain voluntary placements in "appropriate" areas, I'm sure that a period of voluntary work in an area such as a charity shop would be looked upon favourably, seems to me that med schools are looking for a sustained effort in voluntary it's not as though you wouldn't absorb some of the ethos of the charity:smile:
Reply 10
Helenia
Why should wanting to be a medic require you to also want to work in a charity shop?

I'm not saying it should, infact I think the opposite. What's the point in anything if you're only doing it to look good? Doing charity work should not be used as a means to the end of getting onto a Medicine course. To me it's quite obvious that this is quite a ruthless attitude.
If you don't want to do charity work then don't, but don't do it when you don't want to just to get ahead of the competition in Medical applications and then expect reassurance from me...
indeed, i perfectly agree with you

however payed job > volunteer job

if i want a job in a shop, i might as well get a paying job and save up as well as doing it
Reply 12
Esquire
I'm not saying it should, infact I think the opposite. What's the point in anything if you're only doing it to look good? Doing charity work should not be used as a means to the end of getting onto a Medicine course. To me it's quite obvious that this is quite a ruthless attitude.
If you don't want to do charity work then don't, but don't do it when you don't want to just to get ahead of the competition in Medical applications and then expect reassurance from me...

I wonder how many medical students would have bothered with all their charity work if it wasn't for the need to put it on UCAS...? I'm not saying people don't enjoy it once they've started, but how many would bother starting?
Reply 13
yeh your right. i bet the only reason people really do voluntary work is to get places in medicine etc. i don't think thats a good thing but i did it and got a place so i'm not exactly good now am i? but then again i may have done it if i didn't have so much other work to do, i don't know!
Not entirely fair.

I did some to complete my DoE too!!
Reply 15
mayakuku
yeh your right. i bet the only reason people really do voluntary work is to get places in medicine etc. i don't think thats a good thing but i did it and got a place so i'm not exactly good now am i? but then again i may have done it if i didn't have so much other work to do, i don't know!

I don't think thats true, the voluntary work that I did was started before I was even thinking about UCAS . My sister (who is applying to medicine this year) has been doing charity work for ages and really enjoys it again she started before she was thinking about medicine.
Reply 16
I don't think thats true, the voluntary work that I did was started before I was even thinking about UCAS . My sister (who is applying to medicine this year) has been doing charity work for ages and really enjoys it again she started before she was thinking about medicine.

Same here; I'd been volunteering for ages before deciding, and it was my volunteering that made me think about medicine.

:smile:
Reply 17
Well, I'm halfway between - I started my main voluntary work (Brownie leader) when I was 15 without UCAS in mind, but then all my work experience etc was planned solely for that end. But I didn't do any care home work or anything. It sounds terrible but I don't like old people's homes. I might have liked working in a hospice but we don't have one near enough.
I just spent all evening voluntarily giving various chemistry demonstrations to little people at my school's open evening, that count as good voluntary work? :biggrin:
Reply 19
Revd. Mike
I just spent all evening voluntarily giving various chemistry demonstrations to little people at my school's open evening, that count as good voluntary work? :biggrin:

Could put it down if you want!

Latest

Trending

Trending