The Student Room Group

Subject panic, opinions would be appreciated

I've been all set up to do English since about August. I considered Law for a while and then dropped the idea figuring I could do a conversion course to it after an arts degree if I was still interested. But I had a horribly embarrassing nervous breakdown about a week ago, when I realised that I didn't want to do English. So, my Cambridge application form has been withdrawn, and I'm starting all over again, and thinking of Law.

I have 3 As and a B in English Lit, History, Biology and Chemistry as AS level, as well as a distinction in AEA Critical Thinking.

This is where I need advice: I've done some reading on Law courses, had some work experience, read a few lnat preperation books. I know it won't be easy, but I figured a law degree would give me a boost whatever career I chose, since i'm still very uncertain. Is there anyone else who's going for Law but doesn't want to become a Solicitor or a Barrister? And if so, what made you chose law? Is it a good degree choice for someone who's still so uncertain about what they want to work as?
Of course it is! If you're interested in Law, the way it shapes society, and find it to be a stimulating subject to study, you'll enjoy it regardless of what happens at the end!

I have no idea what I want to do after I've finished my degree, it'll be great to have the option of continuing on to be a lawyer, but it opens many other doors too. It'll be a good degree choice if Law is what interests you, and you can see where it takes you once you get going! :biggrin:

I'm really looking forward to starting a Law degree, but I'm certainly not going into it being certain on becoming a solicitor or barrister, that's for sure!
Nabsee
So, my Cambridge application form has been withdrawn, and I'm starting all over again

:eek:
Reply 3
Same here! I don't want to be a lawyer either but I'm applying. Everyone at my school doesn't seem to understand why I want to do Law if I don't want to be a lawyer though (newbies). Even my Law teacher when she read my PS was like "Oh. What happened? I thought you were really set on becoming a lawyer"... God knows how she formed that assumption!?

I want to do Law because I basically love writing argumentative essays and I want to know more about the Law since is something you can't run from (unless you move to Africa and join an indeginous tribe such as the Masai or something..But then it's an informal law system anyway!). Plus, when my aunty and uncle were having a bit of a family tiff and my uncle phoned my dad complaining that my aunty had threatened him with the proposition of a court injunction - I liked being able to inform him that she was having him on :P

If you aren't definite with what you want to do in the future, like me, then a Law degree will be a huge benefit - as you can get into basically anything. I mean, what profession doesn't revolve around certain laws regulating it?

However, I'd recommend getting some law books (some interesting general ones.. reading the the Big Book of Privy Council Minutes is unlikely to fill you with inspiration) and trying to get a flavour for the subject.
Reply 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabsee
So, my Cambridge application form has been withdrawn, and I'm starting all over again

I know. :smile:

If you aren't definite with what you want to do in the future, like me, then a Law degree will be a huge benefit - as you can get into basically anything. I mean, what profession doesn't revolve around certain laws regulating it?

However, I'd recommend getting some law books (some interesting general ones.. reading the the Big Book of Privy Council Minutes is unlikely to fill you with inspiration) and trying to get a flavour for the subject.

I've done some general reading and I have some work expereince at a soliciters, so I have a general idea of what studying it for three years would ivolve. :smile: Lots of rote learning, but some interesting analysis mixed in, I guess.

My main concern is still careers afterwards though. I keep hearing the word solicitor associated with long hours, stress, and lots of money, but very little job satisfaction. Are there any careers within law that don't involve working horrifically long hours and endless stress?
Reply 5
Rosalily
Of course it is! If you're interested in Law, the way it shapes society, and find it to be a stimulating subject to study, you'll enjoy it regardless of what happens at the end!

I have no idea what I want to do after I've finished my degree, it'll be great to have the option of continuing on to be a lawyer, but it opens many other doors too. It'll be a good degree choice if Law is what interests you, and you can see where it takes you once you get going! :biggrin:

I'm really looking forward to starting a Law degree, but I'm certainly not going into it being certain on becoming a solicitor or barrister, that's for sure!

I fully agree :smile:

Even though I wanted to be a lawyer when I went into my law degree, I've had my fair shares of "wobbles" and declaring that I'm going to be a teacher or full time horse trainer or something! :rolleyes:

Some of these wobbles went far enough that I looked into what else I could do, and basically, you can do anything! :smile: It's a well respected degree, which enables you to develop lots of transferable skills.

Don't worry too much, enjoy your course, do lots of career research and get some work experience; my week placement at the magistrates court put paid to my doubts funnily enough - even though I want to be a family lawyer!! :p:
Just concentrate on enjoying your degree and getting as much out of life as you can while at uni, and see how you feel at the start of the 2nd year when it all starts hotting up with vac scheme applications, etc. And if there is anything I can help you with, just drop me a PM :smile:
Reply 6
Nabsee
My main concern is still careers afterwards though. I keep hearing the word solicitor associated with long hours, stress, and lots of money, but very little job satisfaction. Are there any careers within law that don't involve working horrifically long hours and endless stress?

Of course there is!!

Criminal lawyers are on call so work evenings and weekends on a rota, but then you have a fair few days in court where you'll sit there 10-4 with an hour for lunch.

Family lawyers do a nice average 8-6 / 9-5 day at the firms I did experience with :smile:
Or you can do paralegal work - usual 9-5.

The job satisfaction bit is purely subjective; if you go into corporate purely for the money, you probably won't get any joy out of it. It you genuinely enjoy it, then the money won't matter. (as much! :p: )

Law has such a bad reputation; do some research, get some experience and form your own opinions :smile:
Reply 7
I'm doing law, and yet I'm not at all interested in becoming a sollicitor or barrister. However, law provides a lot of key s it an skills which other subjects might not, notably analysis. That is very important in many jobs, be it an economist or even in government.
Reply 8
I will be forever indecisive and still don't know what I want to do for a career. I did kind of decide to be a solicitor, which has since been disrupted by family plans to emigrate to Australia.

As others have said, it doesn't matter whatsoever if you study Law without wanting to go into legal practice. I'll be honest and say that most people in my year doing Law want to be a solicitor or a barrister, but at the end of the day only about 60% of Law graduates go onto be a solicitor or a barrister. Law is an excellent degree to do no matter what you might do afterwards. It's also really interesting and very well respected.

Latest

Trending

Trending