The Student Room Group

I have been offered a job but I have lost my NI number, what do I do?

I have been offered a job, in the email they wanted me to bring in my bank details passport and NI number, however I can't find my NI number, I have sent out the form for the replacement about a week ago but I haven't gotten it yet.
My passport is a British passport so do you think that they'll take that as proof that I am allowed to work.
I was thinking that I can tell them that I have a British passport and can give them my NI when it comes, but there isn't a way to call the branch that I got offered a job at directly. I don't know what to do, I need this job and the money, if I don't get the job I literally have 4 other friends who are already thinking of applying to the same place if I don't get the job, so I can't even think of reapplying after I get my NI.:frown::frown::frown:
Original post by caribangel
I have been offered a job, in the email they wanted me to bring in my bank details passport and NI number, however I can't find my NI number, I have sent out the form for the replacement about a week ago but I haven't gotten it yet.
My passport is a British passport so do you think that they'll take that as proof that I am allowed to work.
I was thinking that I can tell them that I have a British passport and can give them my NI when it comes, but there isn't a way to call the branch that I got offered a job at directly. I don't know what to do, I need this job and the money, if I don't get the job I literally have 4 other friends who are already thinking of applying to the same place if I don't get the job, so I can't even think of reapplying after I get my NI.:frown::frown::frown:

Do you not have a P60 or P45 lying around? They are perfectly acceptable for proof of NI number.
Reply 2
Original post by Holby_fanatic
Do you not have a P60 or P45 lying around? They are perfectly acceptable for proof of NI number.

This is my first job, so no :frown:
Original post by caribangel
This is my first job, so no :frown:

Oh. You may be screwed then... How can you not contact the branch you're supposed to be working in?
Reply 4
Original post by Holby_fanatic
Oh. You may be screwed then... How can you not contact the branch you're supposed to be working in?

The number I used to call them only takes me to the manager on Mondays, I need the NI by Thursday this week.
contact hmrc numbers on hmrc website
Reply 6
Original post by swanseajack1
contact hmrc numbers on hmrc website

I've done that, and they say they no longer give out the NI number by phone, so I had to fill out a form and on the website they no longer do an online form, so I had to send the form by post, does anyone know how long this will take?
I'd just explain to the company what's happened and tell them that I'm still waiting for the letter from HMRC. If they're keen to take you on, I'm sure they will be fine as long as you explain what the problem is.
If you have already applied for a replacement (maybe be two/three weeks before you get it), then just explain to your manager that you lost your number but have contacted HM revenue. Given that you are British, I don't think it should be too much of an issue.
Reply 9
Original post by starlight4711
If you have already applied for a replacement (maybe be two/three weeks before you get it), then just explain to your manager that you lost your number but have contacted HM revenue. Given that you are British, I don't think it should be too much of an issue.

That's what I was hoping for, I will call and explain my situation. Thank you all :smile:
ring 0300 200 3502 they will send it out to you. Cant be done over the phone for security reasons as someone could be impersonating you and you would have id fraud. do you a passport. if so show that to your employer to show your british and advise them you have lost your ni number and have applied to hmrc. I think they can use a temp nino unless that has changed
how did you get off

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending