The Student Room Group

Do these A level choices limit me at all?

At the moment I am thinking of doing Politics, Maths (Stats and Mechanics), History and Geography. As I have no idea what I want to do at university, what I would like to do is to not restrict myself and keep as many options open as possible.

Potentially I am thinking of replacing Geography with a Science (Chemistry or Biology most likely) but in terms of careers does it give me many more opportunities? I am predicted A* in all of the subjects I have mentioned so far, but I don't particually enjoy the Sciences, so I really don't know what to do :s-smilie:
i don't see why it should but don't do a science subject if you don't enjoy it. Most universities if not all, i believe, will probably be more concerned with your grades. Not sure though
Original post by tyroncs
At the moment I am thinking of doing Politics, Maths (Stats and Mechanics), History and Geography. As I have no idea what I want to do at university, what I would like to do is to not restrict myself and keep as many options open as possible.

Potentially I am thinking of replacing Geography with a Science (Chemistry or Biology most likely) but in terms of careers does it give me many more opportunities? I am predicted A* in all of the subjects I have mentioned so far, but I don't particually enjoy the Sciences, so I really don't know what to do :s-smilie:

Well GCSEs, have no correlation to your future other than English and Maths. It's all about your A-levels, then your degree which is what will get you the job, not your GCSEs.

All those subjects are actually very good. Maths and History are classed as traditional subjects. Politics is relatively new and Geography is classed as a science by some unis. So essentially you will have one humanities, one social science, one maths and another humanities. That's a a nice good choice. It shows your diversity in subject knowledge and skills. However, when considering which ones you want at A-levels, I would advise to choose between Geography and Politics as your other subjects are good and useful. However, just be sure you pick/drop the subject you enjoy rather than just because you got an A* in it. I know people who got A*s in their A-level subjects and came out with Cs... So don't go into A-level with that mindset because you will lead your self to fail.
"but I don't particually enjoy the Sciences" don't take a science then.

Your choices are fine.
Sure... but choosing A Levels on the basis of keeping your choices open really isn't a good idea. If you genuinely haven't got a clue what kind of direction you want to go in, to me that would indicate you've not done enough research.
Reply 5
Original post by tyroncs

Your choices are fine for many courses, like Law, PPE, Econ, Politics and IR,, etc...

If anything, I would try to take Economics, since it would fit very well with the other subjects.
Reply 6
Original post by Chlorophile
Sure... but choosing A Levels on the basis of keeping your choices open really isn't a good idea. If you genuinely haven't got a clue what kind of direction you want to go in, to me that would indicate you've not done enough research.

Politics, History and Maths are the subjects I would take anyway if it was purely based off what subjects I like, it is just the 4th one which I am thinking I could switch about if it gave me more options further on, as I don't feel that strongly on what my 4th option should be anyway.

Are there any places/websites you would recommend that I could go on to research what direction I could go into?
Reply 7
Original post by Summit
Your choices are fine for many courses, like Law, PPE, Econ, Politics and IR,, etc...

If anything, I would try to take Economics, since it would fit very well with the other subjects.

Economics was one of those subjects which I was considering, so I might look more into the course. From a brief overview it looks quite interesting
Original post by tyroncs
Politics, History and Maths are the subjects I would take anyway if it was purely based off what subjects I like, it is just the 4th one which I am thinking I could switch about if it gave me more options further on, as I don't feel that strongly on what my 4th option should be anyway.

Are there any places/websites you would recommend that I could go on to research what direction I could go into?

University course prospectuses, books, websites like the government prospects website etc.

Quick Reply

Latest