The Student Room Group

17 year old, joined the gym for the first time and wanting to bulk?

Ok, it's been a couple of weeks since I joined the gym. I've gone 3/4 times a week and tbh I enjoy it. I sort of want to bulk and be more toned and i'm 5'10 and not that heavy. I've just got a few questions:

1) I do about a 10 minute - 20 minute run on the treadmill before every session, should I continue to do so?
2) I use a variety of machines but do not use much as the weights which I probably should. But i'm not sure what to do and how many reps/sets? Like what are the best and most useful free weight workouts and how many sets should I do on the appropriate one?
3) For my diet like what is reccomended to eat daily and I usually have 3 meals a day. Is a protein shake really worth it and what are the best ones?

Any other advice will be appreciated

Scroll to see replies

Original post by krs122
Ok, it's been a couple of weeks since I joined the gym. I've gone 3/4 times a week and tbh I enjoy it. I sort of want to bulk and be more toned and i'm 5'10 and not that heavy. I've just got a few questions:

1) I do about a 10 minute - 20 minute run on the treadmill before every session, should I continue to do so?
2) I use a variety of machines but do not use much as the weights which I probably should. But i'm not sure what to do and how many reps/sets? Like what are the best and most useful free weight workouts and how many sets should I do on the appropriate one?
3) For my diet like what is reccomended to eat daily and I usually have 3 meals a day. Is a protein shake really worth it and what are the best ones?

Any other advice will be appreciated

10-20 minute run before the session is perfectly fine, but I'd suggest shifting the run to after your session if your main aim is the bulk! Just be sure to do enough warm-up sets when you actually lift.

There are a wide variety of programmes for you to try out that're posted on the internet. Something like ICF5x5 or a novice bodybuilding routine sounds like it'd suit you just right. These routines tend to combine work in the 4-6 rep range with work in the 8-12 range, usually for 3-5 sets, which is the right amount of volume for strength and muscle gains! What type of exercises you do is very important, and this is probably even more important than sets/reps, hence why it's important for you to find a well-designed routine to follow.

Your dietary intake during a bulk depends on something called your TDEE - the amount of calories you burn. Simplistically, you want to eat more calories than you burn (you can figure out an estimate of your TDEE using a calculator online). As for protein, ~0.7-0.8g/lb of bodyweight should be enough. So for a 100lb person, that's 70-80g. For a 200lb person, that's 140-160g. Protein shakes are only needed if you can't get that much protein through your diet. But the type of protein shake you use doesn't matter much: any whey shake works, so whichever one you like the taste of and is affordable is good!
Reply 3
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
10-20 minute run before the session is perfectly fine, but I'd suggest shifting the run to after your session if your main aim is the bulk! Just be sure to do enough warm-up sets when you actually lift.

There are a wide variety of programmes for you to try out that're posted on the internet. Something like ICF5x5 or a novice bodybuilding routine sounds like it'd suit you just right. These routines tend to combine work in the 4-6 rep range with work in the 8-12 range, usually for 3-5 sets, which is the right amount of volume for strength and muscle gains! What type of exercises you do is very important, and this is probably even more important than sets/reps, hence why it's important for you to find a well-designed routine to follow.

Your dietary intake during a bulk depends on something called your TDEE - the amount of calories you burn. Simplistically, you want to eat more calories than you burn (you can figure out an estimate of your TDEE using a calculator online). As for protein, ~0.7-0.8g/lb of bodyweight should be enough. So for a 100lb person, that's 70-80g. For a 200lb person, that's 140-160g. Protein shakes are only needed if you can't get that much protein through your diet. But the type of protein shake you use doesn't matter much: any whey shake works, so whichever one you like the taste of and is affordable is good!

What are the best ab workouts? I want a good bicep and ab one for 5 weeks before i go off on holiday. Would going 5 times to the gym be deemed as too much?
The run is a good idea because is acts as your warm up so you're reducing the risk of an injury :smile: just make sure you don't over do it all because you might get injured and that's never a good thing! And make sure you eat well, ie more protein and a bit more fat than carbs 👌

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
On a serious note bro if you wanna bulk you just gotta eat,eat,eat,workout and sleep.

Treadmill whilst wanting to bulk? For real? Cardio on bulking not once srs.

Now onto the subject of machines, why would you use these instead of free weights i.e dumbbells,barbells,olympic bars etc. Machine work doesn't break down muscle fibres the same as using free weights buddy, e.g 10 reps on 60kg Bench Press will fatigue your muscles into hypertrophy much quicker than if you were to use a chest press machine for 10 reps on 60kg resistance. The aim of lifting if you want to get big is to train like a fu**in animal and eat like a king.

Post your stats and ill tell you exactly what you need, but seriously 3 meals a day isn't going to get anyone big mate.

A daily meal plan for me is as so:

6am Breakfast - 4x Weetabix no sugar, splash of milk to get them a little moisturized and 2 boiled eggs.

9am Breakfast 2 - 1x Wholegrain sandwich with 1x tin of tuna & cottage cheese.

Between 10am-11am ill normally eat 2x Bananas and have a protein shake.

12pm Dinner time - 150g Wholegrain Pasta and either a whole pack of fresh chicken breast ready to eat or 300g freshly cooked chicken chunks.

2pm - 1x Small 580ml Bottle of green lid milk.

4pm- Double scoop of oats and protein shake.

6pm- Pasta/Rice/Noodles and Chicken with Veg.

Post workout - 1x Shake, Tuna and Fruit.

Sleep.

My shakes are about 300-400 calories due to the oats with them aswell, i could clean up this diet easily but as for now as im not bothered about slight fat gain this is sufficient for me.
Original post by JakeyWV
On a serious note bro if you wanna bulk you just gotta eat,eat,eat,workout and sleep.

Treadmill whilst wanting to bulk? For real? Cardio on bulking not once srs.

Now onto the subject of machines, why would you use these instead of free weights i.e dumbbells,barbells,olympic bars etc. Machine work doesn't break down muscle fibres the same as using free weights buddy, e.g 10 reps on 60kg Bench Press will fatigue your muscles into hypertrophy much quicker than if you were to use a chest press machine for 10 reps on 60kg resistance. The aim of lifting if you want to get big is to train like a fu**in animal and eat like a king.

Post your stats and ill tell you exactly what you need, but seriously 3 meals a day isn't going to get anyone big mate.

A daily meal plan for me is as so:

6am Breakfast - 4x Weetabix no sugar, splash of milk to get them a little moisturized and 2 boiled eggs.

9am Breakfast 2 - 1x Wholegrain sandwich with 1x tin of tuna & cottage cheese.

Between 10am-11am ill normally eat 2x Bananas and have a protein shake.

12pm Dinner time - 150g Wholegrain Pasta and either a whole pack of fresh chicken breast ready to eat or 300g freshly cooked chicken chunks.

2pm - 1x Small 580ml Bottle of green lid milk.

4pm- Double scoop of oats and protein shake.

6pm- Pasta/Rice/Noodles and Chicken with Veg.

Post workout - 1x Shake, Tuna and Fruit.

Sleep.

My shakes are about 300-400 calories due to the oats with them aswell, i could clean up this diet easily but as for now as im not bothered about slight fat gain this is sufficient for me.

Or you could combine lots of that and just have three large meals per day. Eating that many times isn't for everyone. I certainly couldn't manage stopping my day to eat yet again every couple of hours.
Reply 7
Combining all those into one meal defeats the object of eating small meals per day.

Think logically your body can only put to use so much in one sitting, if I consume 250g of protein. And split it into 3 meals a day you're looking at 83.333333333g of protein per meal, FAR to much in one sitting as our body will utilise upto around 40g I think it is and the rest shall be put waste, unless of course you're on AAS then your protein synthesis rate increase dramatically allowing you to feed yourself more and more but this guy is just starting so were not on about the recreational use of AAS.

If you wish to put all of that into 3 meals a day then be my guest is wasting your time and effort to get gains. Your body is like a small fire inside it requires more fuel and supplies to keep your metabolism and blood levels stable to correctly feed your already fatigued muscles.

I work every day Mon-Friday 7:30am until 5pm and still find the time to eat every few hours, you don't have to stand there cooking it all bit by bit either. Quite simply cook in bulk to last you 3-4 days then start the process again on your last meal.
lol at anyone taking 250g protein a day

you can get your bulking needs in 3 meals no problem
Just lol at all the threads about people making a big deal of "bulking" and how hard it is to fit in all the food.

A "bulk" that isn't purposefully just making you fatter is just a matter of eating a mere few hundred calories per day more than what you are eating to maintain (+also need to compensate for the modest calories burned working out) and lifting heavy regularly over a long period of time. If you were to just uniformly increase portion size to achieve this, the difference would barely be noticeable in what you were eating. Or you could just add in an extra snack/small meal.

Its all the people cycling between eating a ton and getting fat and then enduring harsh deficits whilst cutting that create this blown out of proportion bulking phenomenon.
Reply 10
Original post by In One Ear
Just lol at all the threads about people making a big deal of "bulking" and how hard it is to fit in all the food.

A "bulk" that isn't purposefully just making you fatter is just a matter of eating a mere few hundred calories per day more than what you are eating to maintain (+also need to compensate for the modest calories burned working out) and lifting heavy regularly over a long period of time. If you were to just uniformly increase portion size to achieve this, the difference would barely be noticeable in what you were eating. Or you could just add in an extra snack/small meal.

Its all the people cycling between eating a ton and getting fat and then enduring harsh deficits whilst cutting that create this blown out of proportion bulking phenomenon.

I agree completely, but those who endure harsh deficits whilst cutting aren't doing it correctly at all and bulking shouldn't mean getting fat as IMO that's doing it wrong as well.

A bulk/Cut should be balanced and 500calories surplus or deficit to truly add size/lose fat is maximum anything above 500 calories is extreme and either asking to gain fat or asking to lose muscle gradually.
Original post by JakeyWV
I agree completely, but those who endure harsh deficits whilst cutting aren't doing it correctly at all and bulking shouldn't mean getting fat as IMO that's doing it wrong as well.

A bulk/Cut should be balanced and 500calories surplus or deficit to truly add size/lose fat is maximum anything above 500 calories is extreme and either asking to gain fat or asking to lose muscle gradually.

Agreed. :smile:

Just amuses me as there are quite a few threads going around along the lines of "cant afford to bulk" etc...I mean lol its literally 20p of rice extra a day...........
Reply 12
Original post by In One Ear
Agreed. :smile:

Just amuses me as there are quite a few threads going around along the lines of "cant afford to bulk" etc...I mean lol its literally 20p of rice extra a day...........

Jam donughts for bulkin all day err day
Original post by illusionz
lol at anyone taking 250g protein a day

you can get your bulking needs in 3 meals no problem

Don't lol at me :frown:
Reply 14
Original post by Scoobiedoobiedo

He's lolin but he obviously doesn't understand how protein is carried through the body and broken down. 250g in 3 meals is ridiculous
Original post by Scoobiedoobiedo

You can get away with a bit more due to scoob snacks, 250g is more than you need though. You'd be just fine on 160g.... save dat money man

Original post by JakeyWV
He's lolin but he obviously doesn't understand how protein is carried through the body and broken down. 250g in 3 meals is ridiculous

Fixed
Original post by Angry cucumber
You can get away with a bit more due to scoob snacks, 250g is more than you need though. You'd be just fine on 160g.... save dat money man

Probably don't even eat that much at the moment to be fair, need to eat more in general. Depending which scale I believe (mine or my GF's) I weigh between 230-240lbs, wouldn't even say 250 is all that much, all things considered, maybe slightly 'too much', but far from overkill. I take the approach that I would rather eat slightly too much than not enough, for the sake of saving a few pennies.

Out of interest, have you seen any studies that looked long term at protein intake and muscle growth, strength increase and performance? I haven't looked at many but from cliffs of ones I have seen they all seem to be short experiments, 1-2 weeks, which isn't really going to show any increase in anything.
Original post by JakeyWV

Are you over 200lbs lean and on gear?

If no, you don't need 250g of protonz
Reply 18
Reply 19
Original post by illusionz
Are you over 200lbs lean and on gear?

If no, you don't need 250g of protonz

No I weigh 170lbs and for optimal growth 1.5g protein per LB of weight is recommended for serious growth which would result in 255g protein.

You wanna try get big eating 160g protein then you better weight 106lbs otherwise you're wasting just as much money lol.

I'm not even going to waste my time on this thread as people thinking you can benefit from 3 85g protein meals a day

Quick Reply

Latest