The Student Room Group

Learning a language from scratch in postgraduate courses

Dear all,

recently, I discovered that Nottingham University offers Postgraduate Diplomas in Slovene, Serbian/Croatian and Russian, which really are intensive language courses for beginners. Now I'm wondering: Do you know about any other universities that offer postgraduate courses (either PGDip or MA) where you learn a language from scratch? This would be great!

Thanks a lot for your time and help. <3
(edited 9 years ago)
I'm surprised there could be beginner learning courses out there with the label of PGDip or MA. That sounds strange. MA level in anything is REALLY in depth, and requires a high base knowledge of the topic and surrounding ones (as I have unfortunately found out for mine - though not language related). Done an undergrad language degree?
Hi! (:

Yes, exactly. I'm currently studying towards a BA in Translation (German, English, French). I hope to finish it in July next year and, with a bit of luck, attend a postgraduate course in the UK afterwards.
So can start learning a language but you won't get anywhere near fluency in a postgraduate course unless:

1. Your course is about using those languages. All the time.

2. You are willing to jeopardise your course for the sake of learning the languages
I know that SSEES offers various MA/MRes degres where you can learn Russian, Bulgarian, Czech, Estonian, Finnish, Hungarian, Polish, Romanian, Serbian/Croatian, Slovak or Ukrainian from scratch. UCL also offers an MA which lets you start learning Danish, Icelandic, Norwegian or Swedish from scratch. But has someone has already said, you won't reach fluency. The best you can hope for is getting to A level standard and that would still take a lot of work. It is also possible to begin learning all of these languages and more on an evening class which is open to non-students.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending