The Student Room Group

Feel bad - Friends trying to match/one-up me?

Hey Guys,

Recently I've started to realise that my friends are calling me out on things I'm buying. Like I've had a lot of money saved and recently began spending it on things.

Although my friends seem to be trying to match what I'm buying or even go as far as to one-up me. One of my friends sat there and was saying how her mum was going to buy her a car, a new iPhone and other apple products when we both know that that's not true.

Then I had one of my friends get a bit of cash recently and then she said "Maybe now I have as much money as you" like seriously it's starting to bug me. Can I just clarify I don't have have a lot of money or anything, I just spend what I have wisely.

Is it a sign that I've sort of been a bad friend to them to make them feel like they have to try and match my lifestyle and impress me by showing me their bank balance almost as if I'm to approve. Kinda frustrated now:frown:

Thankyou
This isn't good friendship - if it's like a competition between you guys as to who has the most money.
Maybe they feel like whenever you buy something, you kind of like show off about it to their faces and so they're doing the same?
Poor you. It must be really terrible for you, spending your savings and having your friends trying to match or one-up you. First world problems.. :rolleyes:

Does it matter if you know your friend is lying re. the car and Apple products? When I was in first and middle school, after Christmas holidays, I used to lie about what I'd got for Christmas to match my friends at school - because I didn't get anywhere near as much as them... When I put bark down in my garden, after I'd cleared it all out, my next door neighbour added decking AND barked her garden... Some people are motivated by material possessions, others are not..

Just let them get on with it - it's not worthy of worrying over OR allowing it to ruin the friendship, as I would presume you all have more in common and shared interests/other qualities you like in each other as opposed to your bank balances and material goods.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3
just dont tell them how much money you have then

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending