The Student Room Group

HELP! Should I (legally) change my name now?

Please move this thread if it isn't under the right category, I am new to TSR so I apologise!

I'm 16 years old and currently in year 11, for my whole life I've always had a name which I've been called by but my actual name on legal documents such as PP, birth certificate etc has always been different.
I am in a situation where I think it's best to change my name on all my documents etc, I know there is no 'legal' way of doing so and have seen that it can be done through deed polls which can be completely free however some do charge in order to receive a document that looks slightly professional and more believable when it comes to proving you had changed your name.

Right so I'm in year 11 and I don't like the idea that all my grades etc will be under a name which I am hardly known by, so I'm thinking is it a good idea to get my name changed before I apply for college and complete my A levels? I have all my gcse exams in May and June however I have completed 1 GCSE last year, so I am hoping it won't be much of a problem when it comes to changing personal details through an exam board... also I'm sure my teacher who deals with this stuff will be supportive.

I've received my NI number, but I can jut ring the council and let them know about the change and use the "professional" documents to prove it.

I haven't yet opened a bank account but when I do I can show my PP and my deed poll document to prove my name change(?)

Also... About my PP I renewed it this year -_- but luckily it's only for 5 years so when it comes to renewing it again In 5 years time I can then change it to the name I want by sending the proof of the document. Meaning my PP will remain with my original name for 5 years, but everything else won't... That kind of scares me because of identity reasons etc especially when it comes to opening a bank account.

So is it really worth it? I know I deed polls can be completely free, but I think it won't be too bad paying for a document that looks legit and doing it through a well known deed poll company so that it's more believable and people don't make a big deal out of it... Right? I'm iust really confused because I don't like the idea of all my certificates being under a name which I never go by.... But at the same time I don't like the idea of going through the trouble of changing my name and sending out documents to prove it all the time. :/

I'm just hoping it'll be easier because I'm only 16 so I hardly have much under my name other than my NI number, PP and soon to be exam certificates.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah it's not a bad idea but you've need a parent or guardian to come with you
What's wrong with Candy?
A deed poll is a legal document and it does legally change your name, but only when you inform hmrc the passport office etc to have all documents in the same name.
As you're young it will be easier and will probably be better off doing.
However you will need parental signature on the form and a witness signature of someone who knows you but isn't related to you.
It's up to you. You can apply online. Takes 5 minutes. It's then signing and changing documents that takes up your time.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending