The Student Room Group

Can i apply to Cambridge/Oxford?

Hi,

I would like to study music at university, but is it possible to apply to Oxbridge if i have 3 A*'s, 5 A's, 3 B's and C at GCSE? I also have a distinction in Grade 7 violin, but might also count? (I'm honestly not sure)

I am in lower sixth at the moment but i do not have any predicted AS grades.

I know it's too early, but this is always on my mind (for some apparent reason)

Thank you!
Reply 1
Original post by tilly5798
Hi,

I would like to study music at university, but is it possible to apply to Oxbridge if i have 3 A*'s, 5 A's, 3 B's and C at GCSE? I also have a distinction in Grade 7 violin, but might also count? (I'm honestly not sure)

I am in lower sixth at the moment but i do not have any predicted AS grades.

I know it's too early, but this is always on my mind (for some apparent reason)

Thank you!

Your GCSEs are on the low side for an application to Oxford, to be honest, so I wouldn't recommend applying there. They are also on the low side for Cambridge, however, they put a lot more emphasis on your AS level results, if you go on to achieve an average of ideally above 90% in your top 3 AS level subjects I would certainly apply.

So, rather than worrying about your GCSEs, I would now focus on trying to maximise the percentages you can get at AS to give your application the best chance at Cambridge (generally you need an average of about 85% in your top 3 subjects to get an interview)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending