The Student Room Group
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website

Process of finding second year accommodation? Help pwease :D

Hey guys :P

I am currently in my first year, living on campus right now, and I noticed lots of my classmates and housemates already started applying for houses and found housemates to live with them off campus next week.

I've only got a limited friendpool so far and most of them are moving in together already, there is only one friend who owns a flat so I might be able to move in with him next year. He isn't able to give me any clarity about that yet though, so I wanted to ask if anyone has any tipps how to proceed in my situation?

I would have to start looking on my own and therefore only look for a room, and of course I don't want to commit myself before I know whether my friend option is available, because that would be my preferred option of course.

Can any second or third years, or anyone with experience in the topic maybe share some experiences with me? any tipps? Thanks guys! I'm starting to panic about this a litte.

------

Nelly
Reply 1
I think you should ask student advisers in the student unions about it....they should help you and sometimes they are aware of the house vacancies available....
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website
Original post by McNelly
Hey guys :P

I am currently in my first year, living on campus right now, and I noticed lots of my classmates and housemates already started applying for houses and found housemates to live with them off campus next week.

I've only got a limited friendpool so far and most of them are moving in together already, there is only one friend who owns a flat so I might be able to move in with him next year. He isn't able to give me any clarity about that yet though, so I wanted to ask if anyone has any tipps how to proceed in my situation?

I would have to start looking on my own and therefore only look for a room, and of course I don't want to commit myself before I know whether my friend option is available, because that would be my preferred option of course.

Can any second or third years, or anyone with experience in the topic maybe share some experiences with me? any tipps? Thanks guys! I'm starting to panic about this a litte.

------

Nelly

Hey there,

I did my UG and recently finished my PG at Kent :smile:

It's only natural to be worrying about housing now - it's surprising to hear that people are still looking for houses so early. Often, people make the decision too early and move in with those who they simply don't get on with because they barely knew them when they got round to signing a housing contract ~2 months after they've met. I'm especially surprised considering the SU's best effort in the past two or so years to stop freshers from rushing into getting somewhere. I was back at Kent last week and noticed the posters and flyers about, so you must be aware of their housing week (probably start of second term?). That's usually a good point to wait until, they give you advice during the week about recommended landlords/what to look out for when viewing houses/checking contracts properly and all sorts. They'll also let you know (should do!) about how to network with others who are also looking for just rooms. Rest assured that the rumours that the housing will run out are just simply false. Put it this way - students who come through clearing need to find Canterbury housing in the space of a couple of weeks in late August, I'm sure you'll be just fine at any point in the second term :wink:

The above I've written is to make the situation as a whole isn't so bleak as you might imagine. Don't feel pressured into looking at housing, it's a big decision. If people have already sorted themselves into groups/housing without you then you're better off without them tbh! Waiting on the friend who has a flat may be a good option - if you are good friends with them of course - it would take the hassle out of dealing with landlords and may mean slightly cheaper rent.

If you've still got itchy fingers and don't want to wait till housing week, go down to the Mandela building and speak with the guys in there about ways to network with others also without housemates. No doubt they'll tell you to hold on but at least you'd get that advice from an official person rather than just some guy over the internet.
Reply 3
Original post by Champagne Supernova
Hey there,

I did my UG and recently finished my PG at Kent :smile:

It's only natural to be worrying about housing now - it's surprising to hear that people are still looking for houses so early. Often, people make the decision too early and move in with those who they simply don't get on with because they barely knew them when they got round to signing a housing contract ~2 months after they've met. I'm especially surprised considering the SU's best effort in the past two or so years to stop freshers from rushing into getting somewhere. I was back at Kent last week and noticed the posters and flyers about, so you must be aware of their housing week (probably start of second term?). That's usually a good point to wait until, they give you advice during the week about recommended landlords/what to look out for when viewing houses/checking contracts properly and all sorts. They'll also let you know (should do!) about how to network with others who are also looking for just rooms. Rest assured that the rumours that the housing will run out are just simply false. Put it this way - students who come through clearing need to find Canterbury housing in the space of a couple of weeks in late August, I'm sure you'll be just fine at any point in the second term :wink:

The above I've written is to make the situation as a whole isn't so bleak as you might imagine. Don't feel pressured into looking at housing, it's a big decision. If people have already sorted themselves into groups/housing without you then you're better off without them tbh! Waiting on the friend who has a flat may be a good option - if you are good friends with them of course - it would take the hassle out of dealing with landlords and may mean slightly cheaper rent.

If you've still got itchy fingers and don't want to wait till housing week, go down to the Mandela building and speak with the guys in there about ways to network with others also without housemates. No doubt they'll tell you to hold on but at least you'd get that advice from an official person rather than just some guy over the internet.

Thank you so much, that made me feel a lot more relaxed about it. I might go down there anyway just to check on the exact situation and get another opinion, but it sounds all very reasonable to me. There were people after all that needed houses in canterbury just before september started, and they only started looking in the summer. Thanks for the advise! I would really rather not hurry that decision and do it already XD that would commit me throughout two more terms of this year! Geez!

Cheers!
Reply 4
Hi,

I'm looking for people in my house, my sisters a student at the uni so your more then welcome here; cheap and cheerful :smile:
Original post by McNelly
Thank you so much, that made me feel a lot more relaxed about it. I might go down there anyway just to check on the exact situation and get another opinion, but it sounds all very reasonable to me. There were people after all that needed houses in canterbury just before september started, and they only started looking in the summer. Thanks for the advise! I would really rather not hurry that decision and do it already XD that would commit me throughout two more terms of this year! Geez!

Cheers!

No worries, good luck! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending