The Student Room Group

Interupting/deferring course due to operation

Hi, I am a mature student, so no parents to help out financially, and I have just started my degree fulltime this year. Unfortunately I need to have and operation and now have to interrupt/defer my studies until next academic year. I have not dropped out and I have not quit. The finance department at my university say that Student Finance England will continue to pay me my maintenance grant and loan till the end of this academic year as I have a legitimate health situation but the student advice people say that I will not get any money from SFE nor will I be eligible to claim benefits. Please can someone advise me on whether SFE will continue to fund me for this academic year? Thanks, Ant1313
Hey, just giving this thread a bump :bump: Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific university or course forum should help you get more responses. :yy:

If you haven’t already found it, then university connect is a really useful way for finding people at your course/university! You can also find a list of applicant threads and courses here. :h:
Hi there.

We can consider continuing a students funding through suspension if they have genuine medical reasons for this. You would need to submit a letter requesting this funding along with medical evidence of why you are suspending. The medical evidence can simply be a letter from your GP explaining your situation and why you had to suspend your studies.

Thanks.
Reply 3
Hi,

It is very reassuring to read your response.
I do have a genuine medical situation and lots of paperwork, scans and letters from medical professionals to submit as evidence.

Thanks for replying.

Ant1313
Hi again.

For a medical suspension we normally only extend your funding by an extra 60 days from the date you have suspended, so I would suggest sending in a letter requesting this as soon as you can to grant this initial extension.

You can then request the funding be continued throughout your whole suspension by writing to our discretionary payments team. They would request evidence such as any obligations you may have and normally 3 months of bank statements to demonstrate hardship.

Their address is:

Discretionary Payments Team
Student Finance England
Memphis building
Lingfield point
PO Boz 120
Darlington
DL1 1AS

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending