The Student Room Group

How do I do my UCAS?

I don't know what to do. I did my gcses at this school I've been going to since yr7. Did quite well but I left to do my AS at another school. Did terribly, and considering I worked really hard for it, 5 subjects, and loads of extra curriculars on top of that to make up for doing nothing during gcse...so results day I got terrible grades and had to leave. I then went to another school (the only school that would accept me since I applied just after results day, schools don't take new pupils then, it's mainly done in the autumn term the yr before). Initially I was told I could go straight into yr13 but then because one of the subjects had a different exam board, I was held back a yr, andhad to redo AS. Now by then, I was in such a crap state, I couldn't cope with how bad the school was, the teaching was terrible (I was used to good teaching), there were so many ridiculous rules (I've been to strict but highly academic achieving schools before but this is a whole new level, it's even stricter than those I've been to before strict yet they have such poor grades!! They have rules like walk on the left hand side only, silent movement, no coats indoors, you have to pay for lockers...... I started having a relapse of depression but it's much severe than the last time, I started having anxiety attacks....had to go to A&E....and it just kept going down hill. I've now completsly dropped out of school.

Now the question is, since I'm planning to just selfstudy and owe my parents money that they're forking out to pay for my exams (I'm planning to doing AS and A2 exams in one yr, resitting my poor AS grades from last yr), how am I gonna do my UCAS? I'm definitely too late for it this yr so I've thinking of doing a gap year next yr and apply next autumn. But because I left the previous two schools on really really bad terms, only the school I did gcses in, I left on good terms, the teachers there really liked me but I can't contact them for references. So what should I do???

Scroll to see replies

Do you have a job where you get a reference from?
Reply 2
Original post by OU Student

I work at my parents little takeaway shop, does that count?
You still have time to apply, the deadline is still in January and even if you don't get in anywhere, you can snag a place during clearing (basically a first come first serve to fill up left over places, it can be a pretty good route for someone in your situation, it just means you don't have much choice over which University you get).

I could be wrong about that though ^

As for your reference, if you really do plan to apply next year there is still time to find an alternative job or summer course or part time class etc to find a reference. An academic reference is usually preferred so I would definitely not reccommend your parents takeaway shop (mostly because they are related to you).

You don't have to produce a reference either, it just isn't 'ideal'. You can always inform the Universities you apply to about your situation.
It's January 15th for all those not applying to Oxbridge, medicine and dentistry courses.
Reply 5
Original post by coffeecakey
You still have time to apply, the deadline is still in January and even if you don't get in anywhere, you can snag a place during clearing (basically a first come first serve to fill up left over places, it can be a pretty good route for someone in your situation, it just means you don't have much choice over which University you get).

I could be wrong about that though ^

As for your reference, if you really do plan to apply next year there is still time to find an alternative job or summer course or part time class etc to find a reference. An academic reference is usually preferred so I would definitely not reccommend your parents takeaway shop (mostly because they are related to you).

You don't have to produce a reference either, it just isn't 'ideal'. You can always inform the Universities you apply to about your situation.

Thanks for your reply. I got BDDD so I don't think I couldn't apply anywhere with that but I know I could do much better. I was hoping that if I finish my alevels and get a decent grade, it would open more doors for me to apply to. Would I still need a reference if I completed my alevels? I wouldn't need predicted grades then because I've got the grades but is it the same for reference?
Reply 6
It's January 15th for all those not applying to Oxbridge, medicine and dentistry courses.

I'm hoping to apply for biological sciences
Original post by jadys10
Thanks for your reply. I got BDDD so I don't think I couldn't apply anywhere with that but I know I could do much better. I was hoping that if I finish my alevels and get a decent grade, it would open more doors for me to apply to. Would I still need a reference if I completed my alevels? I wouldn't need predicted grades then because I've got the grades but is it the same for reference?

Edit: I confused my old reply with another thread entirely.

Yes you still need a reference though, preferably from an academic source. Old school or tutor at the very least. It is possible to apply without a reference however.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 8

Hi I am in almost exactly the same situation except no job and I'm doing both a-levels this year looking to get into a foundation year engineering degree via clearing. I was just wondering is there a deadline that you have to sign up to ucas by if you're planning to go into clearing?
Reply 9
I'm a bit confused, have you got A level grades already or are you thinking of doing them? :P

If you're applying individually, yes you do need an academic reference even if you already have your grades. I'm assuming you're still fresh from school (1-2 years into your past), so getting in touch with your last school shouldn't be too much of a problem. Alternatively you could ask a tutor at your current Uni and have a talk, just choose a nice kind hearted one to explain your situation.

Edit: Forgot, your last two schools were terrible. Go meet your old University tutor if possible.

I'm currently in yr 13, did my AS last yr
Need to resit some exams, well basically all because I messed up. So basically I'm doing both AS and A2 exams this yr in one go.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by jadys10
I'm currently in yr 13, did my AS last yr

I edited my post, sorry I was thinking of a different person when I typed that :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by jadys10
x

Yes you still need a reference though, preferably from an academic source. Old school or tutor at the very least. It is possible to apply without a reference however.

It doesn't have to be academic does it?

Your reference

Who should write it?

Usually someone who knows you academically a teacher or tutor who can talk about how you work and interact with other students etc, as well as your suitability for higher education or a particular profession.

If you're in school or college (or you were recently), ask your tutor, teacher, principal or head teacher.

If you left school or college years ago you could ask an employer, volunteering supervisor or trainer.

But don't ask family, friends, partners or ex-partners if you do your application could be cancelled

Reply 12

How do I apply with no reference? I'm not exactly sure on the whole UCAS application process. I only have one friend and she's applying this yr and she's told me some things, she's not too sure of how it works either. Like the plagiarism checker, she doesn't want to have plagarised work in her personal statement (if it's just a coincidence that she does) but she doesn't want to pay to check it.
Reply 13
Original post by jadys10
How do I apply with no reference? I'm not exactly sure on the whole UCAS application process. I only have one friend and she's applying this yr and she's told me some things, she's not too sure of how it works either. Like the plagiarism checker, she doesn't want to have plagarised work in her personal statement (if it's just a coincidence that she does) but she doesn't want to pay to check it.

There's also an option to not include a reference if you contact all your universities and colleges and they agree you don't need one just confirm that it's not needed on the reference page of your application.

http://www.ucas.com/how-it-all-works/undergraduate/filling-your-application/references-payment-and-sending
Reply 14

If this is true, thanks for everything >< all of you guys, I'm getting emotional....
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by jadys10

It is super simple. When you sign up as an individual, you will be taken to a page with different steps to complete/fill out (with plenty of help information). Current students have their schools fill out the application, but you will do this solo.

One section will let you write your personal statement. Just don't plagiarize and you have nothing to worry about. There is no need to check it.

One section asks you to provide a reference, and there is a checkbox to confirm providing NO reference. UCAS says it is not ideal to provide no reference, but you are allowed to if you really want to. UCAS also tells you who specifically can provide references (aka no parents).

When you complete all the sections, you can look over it as many times as you want to check it is correct. It is impossible to submit it until you pay for the application (it isn't alot of money) and then it will be sent to the University.

You can sign up right now and see what it looks like, nothing bad will happen! Hope this helps.
Reply 16
Original post by jadys10
Where are you getting this info from? If this is true, thanks for everything >< all of you guys, I'm getting emotional....

Just study hard I'm sure you'll get A's seriously. I'm in the same situation, it feels ****ty and like everyone is judging you for not being at university already. Even coming onto this website asking advice feels a bit awkward. But alas hopefully we shall soon get in, our stories are rather similar.

Check out the link in my post it should say everything about the references
Reply 17
It is super simple. When you sign up as an individual, you will be taken to a page with different steps to complete/fill out (with plenty of help information). Current students have their schools fill out the application, but you will do this solo.

One section will let you write your personal statement. Just don't plagiarize and you have nothing to worry about. There is no need to check it.

One section asks you to provide a reference, and there is a checkbox to confirm providing NO reference. UCAS says it is not ideal to provide no reference, but you are allowed to if you really want to. UCAS also tells you who specifically can provide references (aka no parents).

When you complete all the sections, you can look over it as many times as you want to check it is correct. It is impossible to submit it until you pay for the application (it isn't alot of money) and then it will be sent to the University.

You can sign up right now and see what it looks like, nothing bad will happen! Hope this helps.

Thanks so so much! This is literally what I've been worrying about for ages. Thank you!
Reply 18
Original post by Sid99
Just study hard I'm sure you'll get A's seriously. I'm in the same situation, it feels ****ty and like everyone is judging you for not being at university already. Even coming onto this website asking advice feels a bit awkward. But alas hopefully we shall soon get in, our stories are rather similar.

Check out the link in my post it should say everything about the references

Thanks for your help :smile: this really means a lot to me. What happened to you?
After all this, I just felt there was no support for the people going the non standard way, like we're just left behind from the system. I made a mess of it, I started regretting dropping out. My parents don't really help much you see, they're from another country, and they don't know anything about the education system and how it works, they're really strict parents and they just shout and hit me sometimes.

Original post by jadys10
If this is true, thanks for everything >< all of you guys, I'm getting emotional....

You MUST get agreement from all of your universities to apply with no reference. And I'm afraid it is uncommon for universities to agree for an applicant who has been in formal study within the last 3 years.

If you apply with no reference with express permission from the universities you apply for then your application will be rejected.

The option to apply without references is generally only acceptable for mature students without recent study, home schooled applicants and a handful of applicants coming through clearing.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending