The Student Room Group

Speaking to an University about rejecting my current confirmed place, then reapplying

Hello,

I am a gap year student, last year I narrowly missed my first choice offer (A*AA) at Durham by 2 UMS but still a grade as I received AAAA, and so I unfortunately I was not accepted. Automatically I was accepted on my second choice for deferred entry.

This year, I've decided to make use of my gap year and reapply to Durham, but this means rejecting my place at my second choice first. However, it's still very much my second choice, and I'm scared when I reapply I don't recieve offers from both.

I've been told by my school that I need to speak with my second choice first, to let them know of this update and withdraw my place with them. But how should I explain my situation? Should I tell them the truth, that I'm reapplying to my first choice again, and they are just my second choice?

My friend in a similar position with Bristol let them know that he was unsure about his course and would reevaluate in his gap year, he reapplied for the same course and he was accepted again. However, because unfortunately I couldn't decide whether to reapply for a couple of months, I'll be rejecting my placee and reapplying back to them pretty much a week after.

Any advice, help? :frown: I'm terrified to speak to them and I need to do so urgently, it would really help me if I hd a guideline to go on :smile:

Thanks!
Hi there. I would be honest - universities shouldn't take it personally. Ultimately it is YOUR choice where to study, and if you don't feel comfortable in the place you won't perform your best. It is unfortunate that the UCAS system means you have to go around it this way, but universities do use this all the time so you won't be the first person, or the last, in this situation. Call up the admissions office and explain your thinking about changing your choices and ask if they were to be listed again would this affect their decision. You don't need to use 'first choice' or 'second choice', it's just a re-evaluation of your options. They won't know where else you have applied to, as an institution we only see the application submitted to us, so you can leave out this detail. That may make things easier!

Hope this helps, and best of luck! Charlotte (TSR Official QMU Rep
Reply 2
Thank you very much, it's given me a lot of reassurance now!
Reply 3
Hi I've just read this post and u am currently doing an access course to nursing at college. My original choice was child nursing but my tutor told me that I should do adult nursing instead because there are more opportunities so I sent my ucas application off for adult nursing and now I am starting to regret my choice. Does any one have any advice or no wot options I have please. Thank you
They will already know that they were your 2nd choice because universities know if you firm or insurance them right?
Original post by Olympiad
They will already know that they were your 2nd choice because universities know if you firm or insurance them right?

Hi there. We will see if you select our offer as insurance or firm, but that will only be the initial offer last year which will be in the records. Each year should be considered as a fresh application, and we don't know how you may view a second offer the following year until you make the decision later. So basically, we only see we were 2nd choice last year, but who's to say that's what will happen with another application...
Charlotte (TSR Official QMU Rep)
Original post by Tonks 126
Hi I've just read this post and u am currently doing an access course to nursing at college. My original choice was child nursing but my tutor told me that I should do adult nursing instead because there are more opportunities so I sent my ucas application off for adult nursing and now I am starting to regret my choice. Does any one have any advice or no wot options I have please. Thank you

You should probably speak to the universities you're looking at for child nursing to see if they are likely to take a late application at this stage or if it may go in to Clearing (I suspect not as Nursing across the board is quite competitive). If they are able to accept an application, you could discuss your situation as your personal statement will be geared toward Child Nursing and how you could highlight your change in choice. I would think you are probably looking to reapply next year for Child if I'm completely honest - and with a fresh app next year you can emphasise adult branch. Unless a course is going into clearing and you can chat through the course selection with the university then, but as I said it is usually over subscribed so rarely will be in clearing unfortunately.
Charlotte (TSR Official QMU Rep)
Original post by Pomtoon
Hello,

I am a gap year student, last year I narrowly missed my first choice offer (A*AA) at Durham by 2 UMS but still a grade as I received AAAA, and so I unfortunately I was not accepted. Automatically I was accepted on my second choice for deferred entry.

This year, I've decided to make use of my gap year and reapply to Durham, but this means rejecting my place at my second choice first. However, it's still very much my second choice, and I'm scared when I reapply I don't recieve offers from both.

I've been told by my school that I need to speak with my second choice first, to let them know of this update and withdraw my place with them. But how should I explain my situation? Should I tell them the truth, that I'm reapplying to my first choice again, and they are just my second choice?

My friend in a similar position with Bristol let them know that he was unsure about his course and would reevaluate in his gap year, he reapplied for the same course and he was accepted again. However, because unfortunately I couldn't decide whether to reapply for a couple of months, I'll be rejecting my placee and reapplying back to them pretty much a week after.

Any advice, help? :frown: I'm terrified to speak to them and I need to do so urgently, it would really help me if I hd a guideline to go on :smile:

Thanks!

Will your grades have changed by the time you reapply?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
My second choice course's entry requirements are AAA, so I've met that!

I'll have to and will be retaking a module or so, and then taking some further modules this summer to strengthen my application.
Original post by Pomtoon
My second choice course's entry requirements are AAA, so I've met that!

I'll have to and will be retaking a module or so, and then taking some further modules this summer to strengthen my application.

Well that's good then! If Durham is your dream, I say go for it!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending