The Student Room Group

personal statement worry ???

I just finished my personal statement after showing it to lots of people and making changes here and there and I was generally very happy with the final product. But I just showed it to my dad just to say "this is what I'm sending, just take a look" but he says I havent included enough about WHY I want to do pharmacy, and apparently I should write about all the different aspects of it to show that I know what they are.

Did any of you do this? on your personal statements what are the main things you have included?

I basically say how much I enjoy chemistry at school and about my work experience and i go inot a bit of detail about one experiment i did, then I say about my extra-curricular activities and then sum it up with a sentance about moving on to university and how I cant wait to study pharmacy blah blah blah.

is this wong? or is my dad wrong? surely the admissions tutors are looking to see what I am like and not just how much I know about the course.

someone help!
Reply 1
I cant believe that I was in your position this time last year and am now at UEA doing pharmacy. U need to really explain why you want to do pharmacy what is happening in pharmacy that interests you, Where pharmacy is going to go in the future and how you think that will make you a better pharmacist.
Reply 2
yeh, I wouldn't advice talking about all the sectors of pharmacy since it is supposed to be a personal statement not a statement to show how much you know. I structured mine as: intro - sumthing I choose to pull the tutors
2nd paragraph-subjects at a-level, what skills I developed? The third and the fourth paragraphs were on about my work experience placements, and background reading. Then extra curriculum stuff and then my closing paragraph. I didn't talk to much about what pharmacy will do for me, but rather what attracts me to pharmacy and aspects that intrigued me, whilst on work experience.
Reply 3
I would say be honest and try and sell yourself, there are alot of people applying for Pharmacy and they do look at how enthusastic you are about pharmacy but obviously save some stuff for your interviews
wanna look at my pm?
Reply 5
Rememeber you reference is more important and of course you grades, but ps is like a chance to reveal your enthusiam for pharmacy :smile:
Reply 6
ps is more important than refernce not the other way round
Reply 7
Well according to my teachers and people I have spoken to it is the other way around, since your reference is generally written by academics, like teachers, who have a good judgement of you. As you know, personal statements could not be accurate...but that is picked up i guess..........Again, it depends on the subject
Reply 8
Grades are more important than PS though, get 3 or 2 As and you're nearly home dry.

I won't tell you about how crap my PS was and the absense of any work experience. Just work your ass off and you can get into pharmacy easy.
Reply 9
Maybe so, but I think grades aren't everything. I c your point though
JayEm
Grades are more important than PS though, get 3 or 2 As and you're nearly home dry.

Hmmmm...4 a's and brilliant experience...I think I'm already in front of the tv:p:

Latest

Trending

Trending