The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Dishonesty charges would mess you up bad in any job which involves trust, ie any job!
What about cautions? Do they stay on record for ever or wiped away after a certain time?
After 2 years they get wiped. However: they still stay on your "record" as such. (According to my dad.)
Visiting_Babylon
After 2 years they get wiped. However: they still stay on your "record" as such. (According to my dad.)

Any idea what they show up as? Eg. Caution for being an idiot etc.
the.goddfather
Any idea what they show up as? Eg. Caution for being an idiot etc.

On Enhanced Disclosures. CRB checks - they will still show up. However, as far as clarifying purposes go, you don't "need" to state them, etc: as they're not convictions.
Reply 25
Visiting_Babylon
On Enhanced Disclosures. CRB checks - they will still show up. However, as far as clarifying purposes go, you don't "need" to state them, etc: as they're not convictions.

Actually, formal cautions generate a criminal record and are therefore declarable.
Ethereal
Actually, formal cautions generate a criminal record and are therefore declarable.

Yes, but they're not convictions are they? A lot of forms say "Please state any criminal convictions", therefore to not declare a caution wouldn't be wrong, would it?
Reply 27
Even acquittals show up on an enhanced CRB check. A friend of mine had to get such a check for a youth project he was helping out with. The check detailed an acquttal for an assault for which he had been charged, indicted and acquitted for (due to lack of evidence) from 4 years prior to the check.

Fair or not? Innocent until proven guilty, or a blemished character by virtue of being charged?
Reply 28
Visiting_Babylon
Yes, but they're not convictions are they? A lot of forms say "Please state any criminal convictions", therefore to not declare a caution wouldn't be wrong, would it?

Yes it would. It's technically a conviction because you have admitted the offence. It's the same as turning up at court and pleading guilty. Unless you're going to argue guilty pleas aren't declarable either? :rolleyes::p:
Ethereal
Yes it would. It's technically a conviction because you have admitted the offence. It's the same as turning up at court and pleading guilty. Unless you're going to argue guilty pleas aren't declarable either? :rolleyes::p:

Hmmmmm... I dunno Jimbob, my dad reckons not. And he's been a copper for 20 years! Who should I believe, the copper or the law student?! Dilemma!! :biggrin:

Edit: You're right! My dad talks rubbish. (What am I doing believing him anyway, he disagreed with a lot of what Graham Virgo said on the Cambs Open Day, my dad thinks he knows more than an expert on the law of restitution... :rolleyes:)
Reply 30
Visiting_Babylon
Hmmmmm... I dunno Jimbob, my dad reckons not. And he's been a copper for 20 years! Who should I believe, the copper or the law student?! Dilemma!! :biggrin:

They are decarable seeing as they are a criminal record unless it says "you do not have to declare cautions".
Ethereal
They are decarable seeing as they are a criminal record unless it says "you do not have to declare cautions".

I know now. (See edited post.) :biggrin:
Reply 32
Visiting_Babylon
I know now. (See edited post.) :biggrin:

Lol! 20 years on the job? Time for a refresher course? :p:
Ethereal
Lol! 20 years on the job? Time for a refresher course? :p:

Probably! He hasn't dealt with any of those sorts of things now in years. He's one of those suits: pen-pushers! :p:
I'm pretty sure all of this stuff is covere dint he Rehabilitation of Offenders Act - i.e. when a conviction has to be declared, when it is classed as spent/unspent etc... may be the place to start?
Yes but remember that lawyers are one of the professions that are not covered under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act.

As far as disclosures then pretty much your whole life story when it comes to the police can be declared in enhanced disclosures. I've had 3 Scottish Disclosure Scotland enhanced disclosures and one CRB standard disclosure in the past year and a half so I'm becoming a bit of an expert. Though they've never really found out bout my past :rolleyes:

Mine have always come back with just None under every section but in enhanced disclosures then its not only convictions (both spent and unspent) that can be listed but also any other information that the chief constable thinks is relevant to be disclosed eg if you've been acquitted, if your waiting to go to court etc. Its up to the police to decide what to disclose.
fundamentally
Louise Woodward did it.
She was convicted of murder, for killing a child in her care but is now a solicitor with a UK firm http://differentriver.com/archives/2005/01/09/louise-woodward-is-now-a-lawyer/

But it was just an American-Indian child, so that must make it ok.:eek:

Louise Woodward gave up working in the law and is now a salsa teacher in Chester! I used to babysit for some people who went to her classes!
Reply 37
pinkfairybeth
Louise Woodward gave up working in the law and is now a salsa teacher in Chester! I used to babysit for some people who went to her classes!

Did they take their children? :wink:
Reply 38
Isnt Louise Woodward practicing in America though? that's got to be significant?
Reply 39
SplidgeSplodge
Isnt Louise Woodward practicing in America though? that's got to be significant?

No. Louise Woodward isn't practicing law anywhere. She was training in the North of England, not the USA, but she never qualified, as she dropped out before the end of her training contract.

Latest

Trending

Trending