The Student Room Group

Graduate Study USA

Hi i am applying to both UK and USA universitys this year for undergrade but wanted to think long term. I dont think iv dont amazingly in my SAT but my Scottish education results seems up to scratch. I have yet to sit my 3 SAT 2's.

With my ultimate goal and dream is to go to Harvard to do my MBA i wanted to ask the following-

1. Because of (what i predict are) relatively poor SAT's, (around 2000) if i apply anyway to Harvard/Princeton/Yale, etc etc will it be detrimental to me if i get rejected now and then apply later for a graduate cource after doing an undergrad at another uni? this is just because i dont know whether to send off a poor application (ie poor SAT's) to a uni and then get it considered when i apply for a graduate course)

2. Would Harvard/Yale/Princeton admissions favour a student with an undergraduate degree from a top UK institute - eg Oxford LSE or a "not ivy league" (hope that doesnt upset anyone) uni in the USA for example UCLA Berkeley

Thanks very much everyone for all the help you have been to me!

I:suith: :tsr2:
Your undergraduate application to a university has nothing to do with your graduate application. It won't even be read by the same people.

Also keep in mind most of the top US universities don't take just master's students; you have to be a research student on a PhD track.

There's no preference for undergraduate university. I met Stanford graduate students who went to places ranging from Princeton to Iowa State University. They will look at your grades and research proposal first and foremost.
Reply 2
As the poster above has pointed out, only your undergraduate record counts in graduate admissions. So that includes your undergraduate exam performance combined with whether your undergrad tutors think you capable of graduate study, and whether they will issue you with glowing letters of recommendation to that effect. So it's far too early for you to be worrying about this.

Note also that, as far as I'm aware, it's really quite unusual for top business schools like Harvard to accept students straight out of undergraduate. They normally prefer to take candidates with a couple of years of real-world business experience after university (or so I've heard).

Latest

Trending

Trending