The Student Room Group

Changing Doctors

A close friend of mine had an argument with his doctor several months ago after having to wait nearly 2 hours to be seen on three occasions. On all occasions, he walked out feeling frustrated. He complained each time and got the usually 'apology'. He tried to leave the surgery recently and was told that if he found somewhere else, he would automatically be unregistered. He phoned up the nearest surgeries and was told that they only admit people moving into the area. He keeps doing this and has had no luck changing.

He has recently had some pain in his chest and we're worried it's his heart. The problem is, he's so stubborn, he will not go back to that surgery and said "he would rather die than ask for THEIR help". And no other surgery in the area will help him.

Advice please.
Reply 1
Assuming your friend arrived on time for his appointment and there is no reasonable circumstances for the two-hour wait (i.e. emergency call-out) then I suggest he makes a formal complaint, the way to do this is look up the appropriate authority in the phonebook. Leaving a surgery can be difficult as it won't be easy to get on another doctor's list, so he must approach the problem head on and get answers.
I don't know what your surgery is like, but in mine there a few very popular doctors who you have to wait weeks to see, so the next time he makes an appointment it may be wise to just see any doctor who is less busier than others, at a time when the place isn't likely to be jammed.
It is frustrating sometimes, I know. Trust me I'm not a doctor.
ive just moved and i still cant find a dr to take me. all the surgeries are full and the line your ment to ring to get assigned a dr is constantly engaged. tell your friend hes lucky to have a dr at all. its not the surgeries fault if they are understaffed and underfunded
Reply 3
I absolutely agree with you. My doctor surgery is fifteen miles out of the city but even if I had to travel while writhing in agony I would still keep the same GP.
Yeah it took us nearly a year to get registered with a new doctor when we moved house!

Does he not realise that there's usually more than one GP at any given surgery?
Reply 5
Your friend sounds like a cock to me. It's not the doctor's fault that his or her surgery is oversubscribed. He had no right to argue with his doctor whatsoever - they were only there to help him in the first place.

Edit: And if he's willing to let his health suffer for the sake of being obnoxious, he's not just a cock, he's an idiot too.
it also sounds like there is a problem with GP provision in the area. the OP's 'firend' needs to speak to someone at the PCT about this especially if s/he has burnt bridges with the practice...

ring up the PCT and ask to speak the the Patient Advice and liasion service (PALS) bods
Reply 7
He could just go and sign on as a temporary patient at another surgery every time he wants to be seen, but it's a bit of a hassle to be honest when he's already registered at another practice!

Latest

Trending

Trending