The Student Room Group

Dilemma for applicants to US Universities and Oxford

This has been crossing my mind recently, but now that offers will be coming up so soon I'd like to get people's opinions on this and see what others have done in the same situation. For US Universities we have to make a decision/deposit by May 1st, but I wouldn't receive my scores to complete and Oxford offer until July, so what should I do in this situation? I'd want to have a backup if I don't meet my offer, and it would be quite stressful if I have to turn down my US Universities to hope that I go into Oxford. Thoughts? Previous experiences? Ideas? Thanks!
Yeah, I'm in the same boat as you. What my counselor told me is to put down a deposit for a US school just to be safe. The Oxford application can technically be considered "wait list" and also since it is an international uni I think the circumstances are different then if you put down a deposit at 2 US schools, for example. Of course, the US school will probably be a bit annoyed when you tell them you are actually going to Oxford in July, but that is the price that has to be paid for certainty.
I can't help you with personal experience since I had an unconditional but in your situation I I recommend accepting a US uni and paying the deposit. The deposit varies - nothing at Harvard, $100 at Berkeley, to $500 at NYU - but assuming you're paying $32k/annum to Oxford like the rest of us non-EU folk, it's a small amount relative to the large risk you think you're taking. Also they get a bit annoyed at you but honestly who cares about that :tongue:
humortime, you said July, so I'm assuming you're an American doing APs? For A-levels results don't come until August (I think) and for other tests is may be later. The strategy mentioned above may not work as at some point, you may have to actually pay tuition to a US university (I don't when this is, though).

This is a good question, and people must have been in this situation before. Anyone with more ideas?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending