The Student Room Group

Do you have a tattoo? Would you get one?

Scroll to see replies

If you want to be rude, take your comments else where. For your information, the facts it's a Harry Potter quote means less to me than the fact that it does represent my love for literature. I'm not saying that Harry Potter is a great literary series, because it isn't. I'm just saying that I like it. If I hadn't told you it was Harry Potter you wouldn't have known. There's is nothing wrong with loving literature. So please learn the difference between giving someone constructive criticism and just being plain rude.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 21
Original post by Nerdy_Birdy96
Would you guys mind telling me what you think of my design? It is a very very very rough design so it's not the final piece. I don't have a tattoo yet so I just wanted to make sure people thought it looked okay. It's a Harry Potter quote that both symbolises my love for the series and my love for all things literature.
The quote was actually: "Words are, in my not-so-humble opinion, our most inexhaustible source of magic." You will be criticised for that by people who know the original.

The expression 'most inexhaustible' is poor English. An inexhaustible thing is infinite, so there can be no 'most inexhaustible' thing. You will be criticised for that by people whose English is good.

When you get older, people will ask why you have a quote from a children's book as a tattoo. By the time you are in your late 20s, you will be sick of that. Once you are in your 40s, you will be utterly ashamed of it.

Sorry.
Yeah I know that was the original quote but I didn't think the not-so-humble-opinion would work very well in a tattoo. So I removed it.

Thank you for your comments and opinions. They have been useful :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
No and I doubt I would. Not a fan of tattoos tbh.
Reply 24
I have two an plan on getting more :smile:
I have the name of deceased dog tattooed on the inside of my upper arm.
And then I have my favorite book quote (3 sentences) in back in Bulgarian :smile:

PS: I don't speak Bulgarian :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 25
Original post by EleanorFrost
If you do have a tattoo, what do you have? If you don't want one, why not? :smile:

gettin one this weekend.... dragonfly
I definitely plan on getting a few; just have no idea what to get.

I'm debating on whether to get a UV tattoo as well.
Original post by EleanorFrost
If you do have a tattoo, what do you have? If you don't want one, why not? :smile:

Got my first one for my 18th last November. I plan to get a second this summer and then I'm done ;D I've only thought of two designs that I absolutely want and have meaning to me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
No, I don't have a tattoo, and I don't plan on getting one because I don't like the thought of having something permanent on me that I probably won't like in a few years time - I know they can be removed, but it's not guaranteed to work. They're not for me, but that being said I love the meanings that people attach to their tattoos, like each one has an individual story to tell.
Don't have one yet, wanted one for ages but I'm sitting on the idea until I decide to commit to something 100%.

I fancy the idea of the Springsteen quote "It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win" running up my arm. Words to live life by, if ever there were.
Original post by Birkenhead
No, and I wouldn't get one. They're invariably tacky. The idea that it's a form of self-expression is ridiculous to me. I don't need to pay someone to engrave indelible ink onto my body to express myself, don't see how it would in any meaningful sense be self-expressive and think it's quite likely that over a lifetime the design would either lose its significance or become entirely disagreeable, especially when the skin it's on begins to wrinkle and sifts the markings unattractively.

Agreed.
Reply 31
Original post by carlaraptor
This is part of the reason I have tattoos and want more - I have issues with my body, and each tattoo makes me feel good about myself. I love having beautiful artwork on my skin. Especially as every piece means something to me.

I genuinely cannot imagine myself without my tattoos.

I have two on my left forearm, one on my right wrist, and one on my back. I want to get lots more. :smile:

this is how i feel, too!
i have 6 relatively small, but very significant, tattoos and would maybe like larger pieces in the future.. probably a quarter/half sleeve, something on my foot, maybe a thigh or sternum piece.
personally i wouldn't wanna work for anyone who judges my tattoos, so i'm not afraid of them affecting employment.
to anyone who hates the idea of them - you're inevitably gonna get people with awful, tacky, unimaginative tattoos that age horribly but, firstly, that's no concern of yours and secondly, that is not a representation of tattoos or tattoo culture as a whole!
I really want a sleeve, I think they look so good on girls. Not sure what I'd actually have though. I love the quote 'this too shall pass' as it means a lot to me but I'm not sure I'd want it tattooed on me.
I have no tattoos. I'm not against them at all; in fact, I actually really like looking at nice tattoos on other people, and appreciating them as works of art and a form of expression :smile:. I just don't have any myself because I'm very indecisive and haven't thought of anything I'd really want done on me that I was sure I wouldn't regret. Plus, I'm pretty scared of needles and pain too, so I'd have to really really want a certain tattoo to make myself go through that :o:. But, I'd never say never, as I'm often wondering about what tattoo I might like to get on myself, so who knows, maybe one day :smile:. That said, if I were to ever get any, it would probably have to be in a place that could be hidden easily just for future job prospects.
Original post by Nerdy_Birdy96
Would you guys mind telling me what you think of my design? It is a very very very rough design so it's not the final piece. I don't have a tattoo yet so I just wanted to make sure people thought it looked okay. It's a Harry Potter quote that both symbolises my love for the series and my love for all things literature. ImageUploadedByStudent Room1420734794.000885.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

That is pretty cute! :smile:
Reply 35
I have a tattoo, I'm not a chav, and I like the way my body looked before it and I like the way it looks now.

Funny how many ignorant stuck up people there are on this thread.
Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom
That is pretty cute! :smile:

Thank you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 0range
I have a tattoo, I'm not a chav, and I like the way my body looked before it and I like the way it looks now.

Funny how many ignorant stuck up people there are on this thread.

Yes, I agree. People are very... arrogant in their opinions, shall we say?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Would get some kind of writing/scripture on my chest.
I would get one

Quick Reply

Latest