The Student Room Group

In year 12 and don't know what I want to be, please help!

I'm currently in Year 12 and recently people have started to talk quite a lot about what they are hoping to do at Uni and where they are going to apply, it has dawned on me that I don't have a clue. I study Chemistry, Biology, Maths and History and am planning on dropping History for A2 and focusing on the other three subjects.

I have spoken to some of my teachers and family friends at a recent UCAS information evening and they have said that it is OK if you don't know what you want to do exactly as long as you have a vague idea, the problem is I'm not sure if I'm at that stage yet!

As i am studying sciences i would like to find a University course in that area but specific courses, not just Chemistry or Biology. I also am not interested in Medicine or Dentistry. I have got good GCSE grades at 11 A-A*'s so that has not limited my options, but I am really struggling to find a suitable course that I like the look off and can see myself studying in the near future.

If anybody has any areas that I can research further into or suggestions and websites it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for reading :smile:
Hi im in year 12 doing the same subjects with the an to also drop history. Think about what you would most enjoy. If you like animals think about zoology or being a vet. If you prefer experiments and research maybe think about chemistry or even chemical engineering. I have lower GCSE grades (10A*-B and 1 C) and I decided I want to train to be an optician. Just decide soon because you should try to get relevant work experience before you send off your application next year. Hope this helped.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm doing the same a levels as you (dropped history at AS) and have applied for medicine. Have you had a look at pharmacy? That's my fifth choice and it looks like a great course- plus the grades are achievable. Otherwise there's stuff like immunology and virology, biochem, biomed, pharmacology etc. Just have a look on different unis websites at the course they offer. You don't have to decide now, but if you had a vague idea by the summer you could arrange relevant work experience etc :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Some universities offer science courses that are very broad e.g. Natural Sciences at Cambridge or Durham. In the first year you could be studying a combination of biology, chemistry, geology, computer science, psychology, and then you narrow down your options in subsequent years. I found that structure very useful for me as I changed my mind on what I thought I wanted to study at uni. Worth checking out.
Don't worry too much about it, I didn't decide until September in yr 13 :s-smilie:

Have you considered the NHS as a career route since you're doing some sciences?

There's a website called stepintothenhs (or something) that give quite detailed profiles of certain careers. It helped me choose mine so its worth a go :smile:
Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Would it be OK to do work experience In more than one area to get an idea of what is suited to me or is that bad because it shows that I don't have sole focus on a particular area in the perspective of universities?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think that'd be fine- you just need to said what you gained from them more than anything else :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Chase the money, your dreams will follow.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DKV98
Would it be OK to do work experience In more than one area to get an idea of what is suited to me or is that bad because it shows that I don't have sole focus on a particular area in the perspective of universities?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do work experience where ever you want. It's you choice what you decide to tell the university or a future employer for that matter.
I would say definitely look into Optometry or Pharmacy. Civil Engineering is a good field. Actuarial science or something. Just look at where the money is at and do it! That's the whole point of studying right!!!
I'm 50 and don't know what I want to be. Don't sweat it; as long as you are numerate and literate and have a modicum of social skills there will always be plenty of options open for you.

And I would strongly recommend NOT chasing the money if you would rather be doing something else. You only get one life and 10+ years doing something you don't enjoy because it pays well is a waste of a big chunk of it.
Reply 10
Original post by DKV98
I'm currently in Year 12 and recently people have started to talk quite a lot about what they are hoping to do at Uni and where they are going to apply, it has dawned on me that I don't have a clue. I study Chemistry, Biology, Maths and History and am planning on dropping History for A2 and focusing on the other three subjects.

I have spoken to some of my teachers and family friends at a recent UCAS information evening and they have said that it is OK if you don't know what you want to do exactly as long as you have a vague idea, the problem is I'm not sure if I'm at that stage yet!

As i am studying sciences i would like to find a University course in that area but specific courses, not just Chemistry or Biology. I also am not interested in Medicine or Dentistry. I have got good GCSE grades at 11 A-A*'s so that has not limited my options, but I am really struggling to find a suitable course that I like the look off and can see myself studying in the near future.

If anybody has any areas that I can research further into or suggestions and websites it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for reading :smile:

I'm pretty much in similar position. What I did is I went to every uni that I like and looked at their course list, took notes on the courses I liked; watched YouTube videos about it; looked at the course modules; the type of jobs they led to, and pretty much in the end I had a large list. Then, I started crossing out the courses that did not interest me until I had 10.

Right now, I'm pretty much attending open days and talking to people that do the courses I like to get more information about them. I'm also planning on doing a variety of work experience :tongue:

Edit: Look for courses that are flexible and allows you to learn other disciplines e.g. joint honour courses, Natural Science.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending