The Student Room Group

UCAS points

some potential idiots have been telling me that oxbridge only accept(or really consider) people who have at least 700 UCAS points bearing in mind that an A at a-level is merely 120, but then even with a regular complement of Alevels (3A-1AS) that would give maximum of 420. what can you do that worth 280, thats not a na A-level
Reply 1
jolity
some potential idiots have been telling me that oxbridge only accept(or really consider) people who have at least 700 UCAS points bearing in mind that an A at a-level is merely 120, but then even with a regular complement of Alevels (3A-1AS) that would give maximum of 420. what can you do that worth 280, thats not a na A-level

Tee hee hee. By a quirk of timetabling I've got over 1000.

Um.... I don't think it's done that way at all to be honest. So long as you aren't obviously a timewaster they'll give you an interview. You should do whatever subjects you think will give you both the best educational background for the rest of your life as well as give the best reflection of you ( in terms of grades ). So long as you are getting consistently high grades and obviously putting in effort at school I can't see how they'd refuse to at least grant you the chance to demonstate your potential at an interview.

Dammit.... too much word repitition. Too tired, I think. Not enough sleep.
Reply 2
1000...???!!! how!
Reply 3
Yes, how the hell did you get that?
Anybody else smell something? Bullsh*t! :smile:
Reply 5
savvy10
Anybody else smell something? Bullsh*t! :smile:

no way, I'm sure he got 9 A's....*ahem*
Reply 6
fred86
1000...???!!! how!

Depends on how you calculate it I suppose.

According to the 'rules' on http://www.ucas.com/higher/tariff/calc/index.html while you can count GCSE/Standard Grades which you have taken further you cannot count AS levels/Highers which you have taken onto A Level/Advanced Higher. This is where I make up the points.

I'm scottish so naturally I'll be working off that side of the table. I took in total 8 Standard grades ( all grade 1 ), 9 highers ( 7 at A, 2 at B ) and only one Advanced Higher ( at A ). The reason the system works in my favour is I did so many different subjects at Higher / AS level which I didn't take on to Advanced.

The figures which should be entered in order are;

1 Advanced Higher at A
6 Highers at A
2 Highers at B
8 Standard Grades at 1

and.... what makes all the difference seemingly...

4 'core skills' at Higher.

Making a grand total of 1056.

If you think I've cheated or misinterpreted the rules somewhere then I'm open to criticism, but otherwise the figure stands as an interesting quirk of way the system works.

( To use the Scottish example which is easier for me cause I know the points offhand; if you were to take a subject which you got an A for at Higher to Advanced Higher it would mean trading a 72 point grade for at most a 120 point one. Even if you DO get an A you'll actually have gained less points than if you simply took another subject at higher level ).
Reply 7
jolity

They arn't potential idiots, They ARE idiots!

1). Oxbridge work on grades not points.
2). Most Oxbridge candidates study 4 A-Levels, which gives a maximum of 480 points.
3). In my 3 years here, I have never heard the term "UCAS points" ever used in relation to admission.

UCAS points are mainly used for clearing.

Ps. Whilst everyone is comparing how many UCAS points they got, I got 6 As, which is 720 points.
Reply 8
BazTheMoney

2). Most Oxbridge candidates study 4 A-Levels, which gives a maximum of 480 points.
3). In my 3 years here, I have never heard the term "UCAS points" ever used in relation to admission.

Ps. Whilst everyone is comparing how many UCAS points they got, I got 6 As, which is 720 points.

Dammit man! Calculate the whole thing. Don't stop at A Levels.

Edit: Come to think of it.... I wonder if they have some kind of points listing for a 1st from Oxford. That's got to be worth a grand or two. :biggrin:
Reply 9
Ah, the flexing of mental muscles. Is that grunting I hear? :biggrin:
Reply 10
d750
Ah, the flexing of mental muscles. Is that grunting I hear? :biggrin:

Well at the end of the day Blackadder always wins;

"I, on the other hand am a fully rounded human being with a degree from the university of life, a diploma from the school of hard knocks and five gold starts from the kindergarten of getting the **** kicked out of me."
Reply 11
Faboba
Dammit man! Calculate the whole thing. Don't stop at A Levels.

Edit: Come to think of it.... I wonder if they have some kind of points listing for a 1st from Oxford. That's got to be worth a grand or two. :biggrin:

I didn't realise UCAS points were awarded for GCSEs as well??
Reply 12
BazTheMoney

That post was just right until you started boasting... :rolleyes:
juliette
That post was just right until you started boasting... :rolleyes:

What can I say, I'm an egotist. :tongue:
Helenia
I didn't realise UCAS points were awarded for GCSEs as well??

Thats what I thought. Although I wasn't aware that my piano grade 6 was worth UCAS points which you pointe out last time :wink:

Anyway, who cares how many UCAS points you get, I'm sure people with 7 A's get rejected each year and others with ABB get in. It depends if you are right or not, not how many cub scout badges you have.
Reply 15
Pencil Queen
If you read carefully it says GCE - ie AS/A2 level...not GCSE

Yeah right enough. Well I don't give a damn - it says standard grades types 1 and 2 and that's good enough for me. :biggrin:

Edit: I guess I just kind of assumed that if Scottish students got to count their GCSE equivalents that English students would get to do the same. Oh well, life's a bitch.

Latest

Trending

Trending