The Student Room Group

UK or US for Software Engineering Careers? (CompSci Grads please help)

The UK's got some of the world's best universities and provides an excellent education for future software engnieers/computer scientists.

However considering that most major technology companies e.g. Microsoft, Google, Apple are American companies, I can't help but wonder whether that means higher salaries, a brighter future for software engineers in the US compared to the UK?
Original post by TheBusyChild
The UK's got some of the world's best universities and provides an excellent education for future software engnieers/computer scientists.

However considering that most major technology companies e.g. Microsoft, Google, Apple are American companies, I can't help but wonder whether that means higher salaries, a brighter future for software engineers in the US compared to the UK?

One point is, that to work in the US you have to be good enough to be hired instead of a US American and it is a totaly different lifestyle. Thus I would check first, how likely it is to get work in the US.
Reply 2
In the US, computer science grads from top tier universities start on $90-100k at most silicon valley firms, and get to live in California

In the UK, computer science grads from top tier universities start on £40k grad scheme jobs in London where it costs at least £1200/month to rent a one bed flat outside a ghetto, and pay around twice as much in tax.

You do the math.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by poohat
In the US, computer science grads from top tier universities start on $90-100k at most silicon valley firms, and get to live in California

In the UK, computer science grads from top tier universities start on £40k grad scheme jobs in London where it costs at least £1200/month to rent a one bed flat outside a ghetto, and pay around twice as much in tax.

You do the math.

Rent is hardly cheap in the Bay Area...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending