The Student Room Group

Speech and Language Therapy Work Experience

Hi all,

I intend to apply for S&LT in 2017, and am looking to complete work experience whilst I do my degree (Linguistics and Comparative Literature). So far, I have:
- 18 months working with a child with behaviour and learning difficulties
- Looking after someone with a condition where speech difficulties is common for a year
- Tutoring for three months
- National Coordinator for AGSD, where a symptom of the disease is speech impairment and swallowing difficulties

Does anybody know what 'clinical work experience' is and where I can find it? :smile:

Thank you in advance :smile:
Clinical work experience usually just means work with a clinical population (which you're doing). :smile:

Remember that most postgrad programs will not accept applications from people who have not yet obtained their undergraduate degree classification and who don't have some postgrad work experience, so you will probably have a year in between graduating and being able to start the course - this will give you chance to get a full-time relevant job. SLT assistant is one obvious choice, but think about support work in special schools, healthcare assistant posts in units for people with stroke or dementia, etc.
Reply 2
Original post by Anna.Karenina
Hi all,

I intend to apply for S&LT in 2017, and am looking to complete work experience whilst I do my degree (Linguistics and Comparative Literature). So far, I have:
- 18 months working with a child with behaviour and learning difficulties
- Looking after someone with a condition where speech difficulties is common for a year
- Tutoring for three months
- National Coordinator for AGSD, where a symptom of the disease is speech impairment and swallowing difficulties

Does anybody know what 'clinical work experience' is and where I can find it? :smile:

Thank you in advance :smile:

One thing you could do to improve your application is tailor your dissertation so it relevant to speech and language therapy (e.g. linguistic features of a clinical disorder). You could also ask your personal tutor or whoever runs your dissertation whether it is possible to be co-supervised by a SLT from City University. The exact topic does not matter - it could even just be a literature review - but it will go a long way towards demonstrating your awareness and dedication towards SLT.

As far as clinical work experience you are quite lucky in that some universities and NHS trusts run formal open days to tell you about the profession. Through these you could organise to shadow a SLT or go and discuss their work with them.

Quick Reply

Latest