Durham
Visit website

2016 Durham University hopefuls

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JDHOrchard
So so weird, nearly everything identical to me

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh cool! Glad it's not just me haha
I think we're taking quite different subjects though- I'm doing English Lit, Spanish, French, Russian and Maths (only for AS)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by afern
I'd never been north of London until last summer either, but I went to Durham for a couple of days and absolutely adored it so don't freak out :smile: Everyone was so friendly and I fell it love with it so quickly!

That's so good to hear!! That's made me feel a lot better, thank you☺️ I guess I'm just worried about it being a bit isolated, a friend recently told me that Durham is known as the small, boring counterpart to Newcastle but I'm hoping that that's not true

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 82
Original post by west1806
That's so good to hear!! That's made me feel a lot better, thank you☺️ I guess I'm just worried about it being a bit isolated, a friend recently told me that Durham is known as the small, boring counterpart to Newcastle but I'm hoping that that's not true

Posted from TSR Mobile

Honestly on the train going there it seemed really middle of nowhere and I was sure I was going to hate it, but from what I saw it was nice and there was some stuff to do, plus Newcastle's really accessible! Like I definitely classify myself as a city kid, but I could easily picture myself at Durham
Original post by west1806
Hey everyone!
10A*s and 1A at GCSE
Going to apply for English Literature next year😊
I'm also looking at Oxford, Exeter, Bristol and UCL.
I've never been anywhere north of London though... going on the Durham open day in June but I have no idea what to expect!! Ahhhh

Posted from TSR Mobile

We love similar uni's! I want to apply for English literature and philosophy joint honours though so can't apply to exeter or ucl :frown: (wouldn't have been able to apply to oxford anyway hahah) also you have extremely better gcse's than me

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 84
What has everyone booked to see on the open days?
Reply 85
Original post by ellawhite4686
which colleges are you looking at?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well i haven't looked much into them, as i have been studying. But ive booked to see Collingwood, University and St Hilde and Saint Bede (though this one isn't a favourite) how about you?
Original post by llanber
Well i haven't looked much into them, as i have been studying. But ive booked to see Collingwood, University and St Hilde and Saint Bede (though this one isn't a favourite) how about you?

I haven't looked for a while but jo butler, van mildert and collingwood probably!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 87
Original post by nobodycarescarla
Hey!
Subject I want to do: Biological Science
GCSEs: A*AAAAAAABB
Alevels:
Biology
Psychology
Maths
Chemistry
Predicted grades: AABD :/
honestly if I achieved those predictions do you reckon I'd have a chance? As for extra curricular things I was a Cambridge shadow and I'm a Reading Biology Scholar (extra stuff to put on ucas!)

Hello, I think I can help you! :smile:

I'm in Yr 13 and I have a conditional to do biological sciences at Durham (AAA)

I got 4A*s 7As 2Bs at GCSE and AABB at as level (in Biology, Environmental science, Chemistry and Maths respectively)

I'm currently predicted AAA and I applied to Durham with that and they still offered me, so you should go for it :tongue:
Original post by yvonny

I got 4A*s 7As 2Bs at GCSE and AABB at as level (in Biology, Environmental science, Chemistry and Maths respectively)

I'm currently predicted AAA and I applied to Durham with that and they still offered me, so you should go for it :tongue:

Thats brilliant thankyou! :biggrin: may I ask how did you revise for chemistry? At the moment its looking like an E for me but obviously I really don't want that! And did you do any extra curricular stuff? Wow thats so cool, definite motivation for psychology exam tomorrow! Congrats btw (:
Hi
I am interested in going to Durham however am unsure as to whether my GCSE's will be strong enough, I got 3A*, 5A, 3B. I am doing Geog, Hist, Economics and Philosophy and Theology for A levels with predictions of AA for Geog and Eco. (Not had predictions for other subjects yet)

Do you think its worth a shot?

Thanks

Original post by yvonny

Reply 90
Original post by laura_lush97
Hi
I am interested in going to Durham however am unsure as to whether my GCSE's will be strong enough, I got 3A*, 5A, 3B. I am doing Geog, Hist, Economics and Philosophy and Theology for A levels with predictions of AA for Geog and Eco. (Not had predictions for other subjects yet)

Thanks

Hi :smile:

your GCSEs are very similar to mine, so I would go for it :smile:
I had vast subject-related work experience (for Biology) and lots of extra curricular things, so if you're worried about your GCSEs letting you down I would recommend doing some of those things :smile:

Hope this helps!!
Reply 91
Original post by nobodycarescarla
Thats brilliant thankyou! :biggrin: may I ask how did you revise for chemistry? At the moment its looking like an E for me but obviously I really don't want that! And did you do any extra curricular stuff? Wow thats so cool, definite motivation for psychology exam tomorrow! Congrats btw (:

Thank you :blush: just got to get the grades now :eek:

I have a love/hate relationship with chemistry (I was 1 mark off an A overall last year, ggrrrrr :angry: ) but I guess the only thing I could recommend would be to write out the most important reactions in obvious places. I had nucleophillic substitution written on my mirror in lipstick for so long it left a permanent stain :biggrin: .

Extra curricular stuff - I had loads of subject-related stuff and just general volunteering, so much infact that I left some out of my personal statement. Instead I chose to take a few things I had done and write about them in more depth, showing what I learnt from them. (not the only option, but my personal choice!). Durham doesn't interview for Biology so your personal statement is the only place to show off how wonderful you are :yes:

Do let me know if I can help you any more!
(edited 8 years ago)
Thank you
Hi

Thanks
Thanks
Original post by yvonny
Hi :smile:

your GCSEs are very similar to mine, so I would go for it :smile:
I had vast subject-related work experience (for Biology) and lots of extra curricular things, so if you're worried about your GCSEs letting you down I would recommend doing some of those things :smile:

Hope this helps!!
So i am considering an application to Durham for Law. I am a Scottish student and this year i am doing my Highers - Maths, English, French, Geography, History, Economics. However, i am unsure of which subjects to do next year that would best suit what i want to do.

I am thinking about:

Advanced Higher Geography
Advanced Higher History
A-Level Russian or Advanced Higher English or Advanced Higher Economics
Crash Higher Spanish

Any thoughts/advice would be greatly appreciated.
Reply 95
Thanks

You're very welcome, let me know if I can help you any more :smile:
GCSE - 4A*S, 7As
A levels - English lit, economics, gov and pol and geog
Predicted - AAAA
Course - English lit, political studies, law - not sure Who else is applying from a public/ private school? I am, just curious.
Course: Politics
GCSEs: A*A*AAAAABBBB
A-levels: History, Economics, Geography, Government & Politics
(predicted AAAA, won't get it)

Haven't thought about colleges (not sure if I like any yet), but I'm doing the summer school in August which guarantees me a standard offer if I meet the requirements so I thought I ought to consider applying. I'm not sure if it's very 'me' but I adore the course and am keeping an open mind. I don't mind it being rural because Newcastle is so close.
Do we have to book open days?
As DURHAM fans, please give your support in "The Russell group hurt/heal game" thread.
We need your daily votes to place Durham
Thanks and congrats

Quick Reply

Latest