The Student Room Group

Hmm too much work in year 13?

I'm in year 12 at the moment, well it's not tecnically year 12 cos I'm two years behind.. but whatever. I'm doing four ASs in Eng Lit, Politics, Psychology and Business Studies.

I really love English Lit and Politics but I'm not really too keen on the other two. I'm pretty much decided on what I want to do at uni (either English, Politics or History or a joint degree with English and either Pol or Hist) and Business and Psych aren't really related or helpful for those degree subjects so I am considering dropping both of them in my second year and doing History instensively - it would mean I would be doing three A2 subjects and an extra AS in my 2nd year - do you think this would be too much work or would I cope?

I'm gonna see how I do on my exams etc. first to help me decide but I'm just thinking ahead a lil bit.
Sounds like a good plan to me :smile: History is a lot of work, so I wouldn't envy you doing the full A-level in a year, but it makes more sense to take a subject you'll enjoy and that will be relevant for uni rather than 2 you don't really like and that have no relevance, especially because I think you need A-level history for most history degrees.
Reply 2
Thanks for replying! I assumed it would be a lot of work but luckily the History syllabus at my college is all things that I find mega-interesting and it's an essay based subject which are my favourites (I love essays) so as long as it's manageable I won't mind putting in the extra work. :biggrin:
Vicky88
Thanks for replying! I assumed it would be a lot of work but luckily the History syllabus at my college is all things that I find mega-interesting and it's an essay based subject which are my favourites (I love essays) so as long as it's manageable I won't mind putting in the extra work. :biggrin:

Excellent! History can be a fascinating subject if you're interested in the topic, but if you have the misfortune of getting stuck with something that absolutely bores you to tears, it's a total nightmare. Unfortunately, I speak from experience :p: And it's definitly a bonus that you love essays- you'll be seeing plenty of them!
History AS/A2 in a year should be OK, as you'd only be doing two others. It's a great subject - good luck and I hope you do well! :smile:
Reply 5
This plan sounds fine. There is a lot of factual knowledge for History and you will need to develop analytical essay writing skills, so it is certainly not an easy subject, but if you are committed and enjoy the topics you will be studying, then I'm sure you will be fine. Good luck
Reply 6
Thanks a lot everyone! :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending