The Student Room Group

Law - post grad conversion course

Hi guys

in September I will be starting an llb in scots law at the university of edinburgh. I want to go into corporate law and it would be my dream to live and work in London. Obviously to do this I would need to do the post grad conversion course from scots to english law, but I can't seem to find much about this course. Could someone please tell me about which universities offer the conversion course? Also, would I do this course before or after my legal practice course
The main GDL providers are the College of Law (now the 'University of Law'), BPP and some universities - mainly ex-polys. This is for historic reasons - it used to be that the College of Law and about 7 polys were the only providers. It is worth noting that for providers this course is a cash cow and they will happily take your money whether or not you have a realistic chance of getting a training contract.

You do the GDL before the LPC.

Getting a TC in the City is quite competitive these days. if it is really what you want focus on getting a good degree and building legal experience.
Original post by Edinburgh33
Hi guys

in September I will be starting an llb in scots law at the university of edinburgh. I want to go into corporate law and it would be my dream to live and work in London. Obviously to do this I would need to do the post grad conversion course from scots to english law, but I can't seem to find much about this course. Could someone please tell me about which universities offer the conversion course? Also, would I do this course before or after my legal practice course

A google of Graduate Diploma in Law came up with a list
https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=graduate%20diploma%20in%20law

Bare in mind you will have to pay yourself without any loans from student finance
Reply 3
:redface:Thanks that was really useful :smile: And yeah I know that realistically if I want to work in a London firm I will have to get a first, I don't mind putting the work in though
Original post by larusfuscus
The main GDL providers are the College of Law (now the 'University of Law'), BPP and some universities - mainly ex-polys. This is for historic reasons - it used to be that the College of Law and about 7 polys were the only providers. It is worth noting that for providers this course is a cash cow and they will happily take your money whether or not you have a realistic chance of getting a training contract.

You do the GDL before the LPC.

Getting a TC in the City is quite competitive these days. if it is really what you want focus on getting a good degree and building legal experience.
Original post by Edinburgh33
:redface:Thanks that was really useful :smile: And yeah I know that realistically if I want to work in a London firm I will have to get a first, I don't mind putting the work in though

That's not the case at all. I know people who work (or worked) at Clifford Chance, Herbert Smith and the old Frere Cholemely (sp?) and they didn't get firsts. 'A good degree' doesn't necessarily mean a 'first' and a collegiate personality and a full CV may often be more attractive to city employers.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending