The Student Room Group

is higher maths necessary?

I'm wanting to do either english + languages or law at university. Obviously I'm hoping for the best grades possible so do any universities require higher maths to get in like maybe oxbridge? Or will it make you a better candidate?

This is the highers I'm thinking of;

- History
- French
- Spanish
- English
- Computer Science

Is this good enough?
Beats doing it sober.
No do studies and get a 7

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
No one can define the precise subjects you need for Oxbridge outside the ones that the university themselves declares. However, I'm a fifth year at the moment and I'm applying to Oxbridge after the summer so I feel I can be of some help to you :smile:
How are you finding Nat 5? Most people in my class got between 90% and 100% in the final exam and we are all predicted A's at higher. I am personally enjoying the course but you have to remember that you are looking for A1's for Oxbridge, not A2's at higher. Could you definitely get over 85% at higher? If so, I definitely think you should go for it as it shows your problem solving ability. However if you honestly think that you could maybe get an A, but probably only an A2, it could be a mistake because I know a lot of people who are struggling with the course this year who found it a breeze at national. But maths is definitely useful for law. Although far less for just English language or literature. I took English, maths, chem, bio, modern studies and AH French this year and it is a lot of work but if you want to go to Oxbridge you need to prepare yourself a competitive application. Just remember not to stretch yourself too thin because you get LOADS more homework at higher than you could even comprehend at Nat 5.

Good luck! Feel free to pose any other questions you may have about highers :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
I was 1 mark off an A in the maths prelim but I think with studying I can get an A - possibly A1 but I don't really think I would manage at higher and it just wouldn't be enjoyable. It's not really my thing so I'd like to avoid it if possible.
Reply 5
I got 88% in my prelim and 96% in the real exam (the actual exam was MILES easier than the prelim) and I think I can probably get an A1 in the final exam. However if you were 1 mark off an A in the prelim then I think you should probably leave it because that could lead to a B3 at higher. I say do what you love, and if that isn't maths then don't do it. :smile: Do subjects you enjoy and that you are good at and the grades will follow! Do a subject because you feel obliged and it won't end as well as it could. Hope I could be of some help! Also, my brother got into law and management at RGU without higher maths and a 2 at standard grade. I know RGU isn't Oxbridge but I hope you realise maths isn't mandatory :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by RachelLJ
I got 88% in my prelim and 96% in the real exam (the actual exam was MILES easier than the prelim) and I think I can probably get an A1 in the final exam. However if you were 1 mark off an A in the prelim then I think you should probably leave it because that could lead to a B3 at higher. I say do what you love, and if that isn't maths then don't do it. :smile: Do subjects you enjoy and that you are good at and the grades will follow! Do a subject because you feel obliged and it won't end as well as it could. Hope I could be of some help! Also, my brother got into law and management at RGU without higher maths and a 2 at standard grade. I know RGU isn't Oxbridge but I hope you realise maths isn't mandatory :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Mother Rachel givin' life advice to the N5s :wink:

'I'm applying to Oxbridge next year' she says carelessly- pompous tw*t!
Reply 7
Original post by WithoutMuchHope

I don't know who you are but I think you have me mixed up with someone you know. And there was no need for obscenities "WithoutMuchHope".

Posted from TSR Mobile
No. A1s arent even necessary for oxford, contrary to what the other poster is saying.

Also Higher Maths is nae bother, I wasnt great at standard grade then the next year I got 99% in the higher exam.
(edited 9 years ago)

Dont be so rude

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Pennyarcade
Dont be so rude

Posted from TSR Mobile

You again.
You again.

Aye, tis me. Wanty fite?
Original post by Pennyarcade
Aye, tis me. Wanty fite?

I can't believe you would seriously consider engaging in combat with a lady! Who's being rude now? :wink:
Reply 13
I can't believe you would seriously consider engaging in combat with a lady! Who's being rude now? :wink:

U dumb fam

You.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending