The Student Room Group

Funding fees using a Career development loan?

Hi, I finished my science BSc last year and I'm currently taking a year out, applied for a few PhDs but many supervisors have said to me realistically admissions committees are looking for people with a MSc/MRes. Funding a Masters is definitely an issue for me, however as it's quite tricky to get back into the field once you're out for a while so I don't really want to take more years out to save up slowly before I carry on studying.

I just wondered if anyone has had any experience with taking out career development loans to fund postgrad tuition fees and if they are a good idea or a trap?! Should I save up slowly, or take the plunge now?

:biggrin:
Reply 1
If it survives the election (and there are no guarantees), the government is introducing a £10,000 Masters loan. The terms and conditions won't be as good as the undergrad student loan, but they'll almost certainly be better than the commercial-style CDL.
Reply 2
Original post by Klix88
If it survives the election (and there are no guarantees), the government is introducing a £10,000 Masters loan. The terms and conditions won't be as good as the undergrad student loan, but they'll almost certainly be better than the commercial-style CDL.

I really hope that scheme does survive the election, it's a good idea actually. I am considering moving in with my partner while he does his course and working to save and using the loans to pay the rest. I will be 2 years out of education but I will be out of my parents house and probably better off in the long run... I guess doing a masters at 23 isn't too bad
Original post by Woomack
I really hope that scheme does survive the election, it's a good idea actually. I am considering moving in with my partner while he does his course and working to save and using the loans to pay the rest. I will be 2 years out of education but I will be out of my parents house and probably better off in the long run... I guess doing a masters at 23 isn't too bad

23 is young! :smile:

Something to think about as well are funding opportunities. Of course they are extremely limited for Masters, but many Unis offer bursaries for their former undergrad students who return.
Reply 4
Original post by Woomack
Hi, I finished my science BSc last year and I'm currently taking a year out, applied for a few PhDs but many supervisors have said to me realistically admissions committees are looking for people with a MSc/MRes. Funding a Masters is definitely an issue for me, however as it's quite tricky to get back into the field once you're out for a while so I don't really want to take more years out to save up slowly before I carry on studying.

I just wondered if anyone has had any experience with taking out career development loans to fund postgrad tuition fees and if they are a good idea or a trap?! Should I save up slowly, or take the plunge now?

:biggrin:

Heyy, I'm currently doing my master at BCU. I found out about career development loan through Uni. I apply for it, but by that time I wasn't working so they didn't accept my application,but threw that you can get many information for scholarships and other organizations that can help you will your master. I didn't ask for the full amount of my fees and also am an EU student so not sure if that's the reasons didn't accept me. In my opinion you should call and ask for more information. Hope that help :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending