The Student Room Group
Errrrrrm, would you be happy if your doctor had AIDs and was dealing with your insides?? The risk is negligible, but that risk exists... it makes sense if you think about it. It would scare ppl witless and really piss them off, most of society dont have a clue about these thigns and are like "oh no AIDs, he would so kill me with that!!", and govt enacts on the lines of public opinion (of that is the duty of government), so therefore it stands to reason it's banned.
Clearly, even with the very best will in the world, the risks are far rom negligible!!! Surgery is by it's very nature invasive. Sharp instruments are involved and the hazard of cross infection cannot be removed. I would suggest, however, that AIDS is not the ONLY infectious disease that would render a sugeon incapable of operating - I woul dimagine any number of infectious diseases are treated similarly.
Exactly... it also shows that the surgeon wasn't very careful with his own self, so why the hell is he gonna be careful with you!!!?
Reply 4
Lewisy-boy
Exactly... it also shows that the surgeon wasn't very careful with his own self, so why the hell is he gonna be careful with you!!!?

*winces*

But I get your point!
Lewisy-boy

It doesn’t necessarily show that. Granted, most people with Aids probably get it as an STI or through doing drugs, but SOME people get the infection by coming into contact with the blood of a person who they do not know has AIDs and by the very nature of their training it is very possible that a Doctor (or surgeon) could contract the disease quite innocently. While you could argue that (s)he is not being careful in that situation I'm sure that it wouldn't be seen in that sense in a scenario such as that. I'm not saying that this proves that surgeons should be allowed to operate, just that your point above is not strictly true.
Reply 6
Lewisy-boy

It would hardly be the surgeons fault if their partner was having an affair, caught AIDS and passed it onto them would it.
Reply 7
It doesn’t necessarily show that. Granted, most people with Aids probably get it as an STI or through doing drugs, but SOME people get the infection by coming into contact with the blood of a person who they do not know has AIDs and by the very nature of their training it is very possible that a Doctor (or surgeon) could contract the disease quite innocently. While you could argue that (s)he is not being careful in that situation I'm sure that it wouldn't be seen in that sense in a scenario such as that. I'm not saying that this proves that surgeons should be allowed to operate, just that your point above is not strictly true.

And by the very nature of their job, they could pass it onto their patients.
Precisely, the risks are there... I wouldn't be happy with a Doctor shoving his hands inside me if he had AIDs (and I know how it can be passed), imagine putting that in front of someone who genuinely had no idea and was just told "he has a deadly disease which you could catch and die", ermmm no.
I don't think it's necessary to get to tie dup in detail with the AIDS/HIV issue. There are far more contagious/easily transferrable diseases out there that can be equally serious - Hep B and Hep C for starters... Whereas HIV/AIDS dies on contact with air, hence a dirty hypodermic (the outside of the needle at least) is rendered "safe" in terms of HIV transmission, that isn't the case with Hepatitis... the disease remains "live" for a long, long time even when exposed to air. So let's not assume that this only applies to HIV/AIDS - I'd be absolutly amazed if it didn't extend to a great many other diseases too.
Yeah I think ur right. Someone else said this might be the case above, and it would make perfect sense.
Reply 11
Fireman John
I don't think it's necessary to get to tie dup in detail with the AIDS/HIV issue. There are far more contagious/easily transferrable diseases out there that can be equally serious - Hep B and Hep C for starters... Whereas HIV/AIDS dies on contact with air, hence a dirty hypodermic (the outside of the needle at least) is rendered "safe" in terms of HIV transmission, that isn't the case with Hepatitis... the disease remains "live" for a long, long time even when exposed to air. So let's not assume that this only applies to HIV/AIDS - I'd be absolutly amazed if it didn't extend to a great many other diseases too.

I have noticed on the med forum a lot of medical applicants are having to get hepatitis vaccinations.
Reply 12
ellewoods
And by the very nature of their job, they could pass it onto their patients.

In your sig, it was Chandler that said that to Rachel not Monica:p:
kirstinx
In your sig, it was Chandler that said that to Rachel not Monica:p:

Well spotted, I was watching the episode when I added it as well! :rolleyes:

Picky girl, with attention to detail like that no wonder you're going to be a lawyer!! :smile:

I have been shamed into changing the quote now!! :suith:
Reply 14
:proud:

:p:

Latest

Trending

Trending