The Student Room Group

Unfair

I got straight A's at GCSE, my report says Im on target for 5 A's at A level, I'm doing fine in school, getting all my homework done etc. my mum says I am "not working hard enough". What do I do?

EDIT:

Okay my mum is forcing me to put her side of the argument:

"He works for one hour and plays for 4 hours every evening"

My dad

"I don't know what his face looks like, just his shoulders and the back of his head"

:frown: :frown: :frown:

Scroll to see replies

I really hate it when parents put their children under ridculious amounts of pressure, they really need to understand it is no good for them. To be honest if your getting straight A's all the time then you must be working hard enough.
Reply 2
Awwww I am really sorry. It'd help if maybe your teachers could say to your mum that obviously you are working hard enough from the proof of your grades. You can't get higher than an A, so what does your mum expect?
I think she's just worried your grades might slip..
Reply 4
How can your mum force you to put her side of the argument down! Does she check the student room for all your posts?! :confused: Has she seen this progress report at all that says your on target for 5As, because those grades would be amazing and put you in the top 5% (or even top 1%) of the country! Talk to her seriously about how she has nothing to worry about - even if you only got 5Bs in the end that'd be amazing.
One last point, she can't expect you to work just for the sake of it - if you have got all your homework done then theres no reason why you can't relax/go out/have a fun time! GOOD LUCK :smile:
Reply 5
all fun and no play makes jack a dull boy tell that ot ur moma
Grrr pushy parents! :mad: I really don't see why your mum has a problem if you got straight As at GCSE and are predicted straight As at A-level :confused: It's not like you could be doing any better, and if you've done all your homework, what else can you do? Try explaining to her that you're doing all the work you're set and getting the best grades you can, so you deserve to have some fun as well.
Reply 7
The general vibe I'm getting, is that I was targeted a lot more A*s at GCSE, and that I'm too cocky and won't get my A's unless I work a lot harder.

:frown:

And I actually made the post while she was in the room, since we were just arguing on the matter, and so she told me I couldn't just put a one sided argument up
I know some people under pressure to do well from their parents. My mum obviously wants me to do as well as I can, but she has got a more laid back approcah, as long as I do my school work, my homework and revision and try my best then she will be happy. But there is no pressure there at all. :smile:
xatm092
The general vibe I'm getting, is that I was targeted a lot more A*s at GCSE, and that I'm too cocky and won't get my A's unless I work a lot harder.

Well, you can understand her not wanting you to get complacent, but as long as you've learnt your lesson and are doing all your work now, there's not much else you can do.
Reply 10
i think it may be that they (your parents) think you're not reaching your potential if you're studying an hour a night and playing four hours. Explain to your parents that you're smart and dont need to spend so much time on work to actually understand it.
Reply 11
To OP.....SAME! my mum thinks im getting overconfident and not working at all and my grades are gonna go down. BUT i guess for me, i dont worry what anyone else says. I think im doing fine in everything and its just maths im a bit worried about even tho my teacher says thers no need to worry. hmm....
Reply 12
Zinc11
i think it may be that they (your parents) think you're not reaching your potential if you're studying an hour a night and playing four hours. Explain to your parents that you're smart and dont need to spend so much time on work to actually understand it.

That's not even true, that's my mum's perception because I work in my room, on the second floor, and I play on the PC which is next to their bedroom, on the first floor.

Did I mention they say I have to work a lot harder and meet their standards or else I'm not allowed to use my own money to buy the WII when it comes out?
Reply 13
oh then just say that you do work and its just that they dont see it. i went through a time like that with my dad. we hardly talk anymore so dont follow my advice though.
Reply 14
Zinc11
oh then just say that you do work and its just that they dont see it. i went through a time like that with my dad. we hardly talk anymore so dont follow my advice though.

Um, okay I won't :rolleyes:
your parents are probably saying that because in their minds they are proud of you , but they dont want to praise you that much because you might start to feel cocky and will therefore mess your alevels ..so dont be too harsh on them lol..but make it clear to them that you're going to work hard no matter what !!! good luck
Reply 16
Define "working hard" :frown:

My family seems to have a different definition :frown:
xatm092
I got straight A's at GCSE, my report says Im on target for 5 A's at A level, I'm doing fine in school, getting all my homework done etc. my mum says I am "not working hard enough". What do I do?

Meh. Apparently I don't work hard enough either.

Seeing how I did on my AS-levels, I hardly think my mother can complain. The trick is to get loads of work done on one day, and shove it in their face.
xatm092

:frown: :frown: :frown:

Oh gosh! Must be hard being under that much pressure.:frown: Have you tried talking to your mother and asking her why she thinks that you are not working hard enough? My parents don't put any pressure on me at all, infact I think that it's the reason why I am so lazy. Everything I do in my school work is out of my own free will and not parents pushing me to do well. I guess sometimes it would be nice for them to check up on my school work and see if I am struggling or not, but they don't do any of that. :rolleyes:
Reply 19
(
Geography oh why did I choose it!

Because it's geat! )

Your parents must just be exagerating so you don't slip down, as you may have done a teeny bit at GCSE.

They're like the total opposite to mine LOL, my dad openly tells me he doesen't care about homework and usually shouts at me to do things like make the dinner and get a job while I'm trying to do any. He'd rather I had a part-time job.

It's good though, in a way, because I means that it's my responsability; not theirs!

I care much more than my friends with pushy parents.

Can you just sit down and show her your work you have to do and explain you don't have more to do?

Latest

Trending

Trending