The Student Room Group

Graduate who can't find a graduate job, so looking for a retail job

Is this acceptable for a graduate to be looking for a retail type job?

I've applied for so many graduate jobs but got nowhere so I'm looking for any type of job just so I am doing something.
You can ask if it's acceptable but you need a job - even if it wasn't 'acceptable', you don't feel you have an alternative option.
It won't be your job forever though :smile: just gain experience and move on up!
Unfortunately, a degree doesn't guarantee employment these days.

What did you study and what degree classification did you get?
What job experience (paid and voluntary) you got? That can answer your question.
Any job looks better than doing nothing.

You will be able to display a lot of skills from working in retail.
Reply 5
A big proportion of those working in the shop I work in are graduates :sadnod:

It's much better than sitting around doing nothing.
Reply 6
Original post by HandmadeTurnip
Unfortunately, a degree doesn't guarantee employment these days.

And never has...
Reply 7
You should seek out entry level jobs! a 'graduate ' job is just that without the graduate title. search reed for jobs for graduates that are not graduate roles, do not be disheartened.
Reply 8
Original post by lolaaks
You should seek out entry level jobs! a 'graduate ' job is just that without the graduate title. search reed for jobs for graduates that are not graduate roles, do not be disheartened.

Although you'd be at a disadvantage as you'd be overqualified.
Reply 9
Original post by Quady
Although you'd be at a disadvantage as you'd be overqualified.

How so, when you lack work experience?

Please OP, dont believe the hype that you need a graduate job to be successful.
Grad jobs are major corporations methods of catching talent early, there are other opportunities. Work entry level for 18-20k and gaining a career is better than dead end, soul destroying retail or worse yet nothing at all 'waiting' for that grad opp that may never come.
Reply 10
Original post by lolaaks

Grad jobs are major corporations methods of catching talent early, there are other opportunities. Work entry level for 18-20k and gaining a career is better than dead end, soul destroying retail or worse yet nothing at all 'waiting' for that grad opp that may never come.

Because the recruiter will often assume you have higher aspirations and six months in you'll move onto something better having aquired experience. Assumption being someone without a degree wouldn't have the same aspirations.

Search overqualified here and you should get a fair few results.
Reply 11
Original post by Quady
Because the recruiter will often assume you have higher aspirations and six months in you'll move onto something better having aquired experience. Assumption being someone without a degree wouldn't have the same aspirations.

Search overqualified here and you should get a fair few results.

kk
Reply 12
I've recently graduated with a Master's degree. Whilst I know the roles I want are competitive, I have had no luck sending through applications for any. On the reverse of this, I have also been searching for jobs that are unrelated to my degree, e.g. retail and have had no luck with them either! I feel like I'm stuck in limbo between being overqualified and under-experienced (for certain roles anyway!)
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by lolaaks

Overqualified is when you are a science graduate and you work as a shelf stacker or even warehouse assistant...which requires minimal qualifications...
Hi,

For anyone concerned about taking on a job that doesn't require a degree in the interim between university and finding a graduate role that suits you, don't worry - you are certainly not alone. As loads of people have pointed out on this thread, having work experience is more important than having no work experience at all - and roles in retail can actually be very valuable to helping you develop you personal skills.

In fact, don't be so quick to dismiss retail as a future career path - retail is known for its strong opportunities for growth with many major companies placing emphasis on promoting internal talent. Having direct experience in this sector could be handy on your CV.

We have a really useful article on explaining bar, shop, cafe, hotel jobs on student CVs & cover letters over on Milkround, as well as loads of other advice. Hope that helps!

Chantelle & The Milkround team
(edited 8 years ago)
Then can;t get retail job because you are overqualified :facepalm:

I managed to get a warehouse temp job. So I've got actual experience. But I still can't get another warehouse job.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending