The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Shared rooms are really expensive?

So I got allocated to St Aidans which for the most part I am happy with, hills college not forced into paying for catered. The only thing is most 1st years are in shared accommodation which although I'm not keen on isn't a deal breaker. The prices though seem ridiculous it is only 5 pounds a week (roughly) cheaper than the prices of single rooms. This seems extreamly high compared to other university halls prices? Was wondering if I was missing something or if that is just the way it is?
Original post by jamiep151
So I got allocated to St Aidans which for the most part I am happy with, hills college not forced into paying for catered. The only thing is most 1st years are in shared accommodation which although I'm not keen on isn't a deal breaker. The prices though seem ridiculous it is only 5 pounds a week (roughly) cheaper than the prices of single rooms. This seems extreamly high compared to other university halls prices? Was wondering if I was missing something or if that is just the way it is?

St Aidan's is fully catered https://www.dur.ac.uk/st-aidans.college/undergraduate/catering/

; in which case the price includes 3 meals a day 7 days a week. The only one which isn't is Butler. It's all on the Durham website.
(edited 9 years ago)
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by southernbelle123
St Aidan's is fully catered https://www.dur.ac.uk/st-aidans.college/undergraduate/catering/

; in which case the price includes 3 meals a day 7 days a week. The only one which isn't is Butler. It's all on the Durham website.

As there are kitchens as well I assumed it was optional. I was looking at the non catered prices of 4324 for 38 week let the catered price being 6080. Which means it's 113 a week for a non catered shared room which is London prices.
I think the costs you are looking at are for all Durham colleges. I don't think self catering is an option at St Aidan's, although you could always email them to confirm
Reply 4
Original post by southernbelle123
I think the costs you are looking at are for all Durham colleges. I don't think self catering is an option at St Aidan's, although you could always email them to confirm

Yer I couldn't find a St Aidans specific one their site just links to the general Durham colleges page. I will email them thanks for input :smile:
There are no self catered options at any colleges other than Josephine Butler and St Cuthberts. Every other college is fully catered, and you CANNOT opt out (ie. even if you didn't eat any meals provided for you you'd still pay the catered cost). There are kitchens, but you aren't expected to self cater (there are no cupboard spaces, there are hobs but no oven and the fridges are shared).

Aidan's also has lots of shared rooms, and you also can't opt out of that either unless you have a valid reason backed up with evidence (like a medical reason). However they do send round detailed questionnaires in which you can detail why you'd prefer a single room if you don't want to share. They also use these to match people up to similar people - most people really like their room mate if they end up in a shared room, they do a really good job in matching them up! Most people have single rooms though. Shared rooms are now slightly cheaper too, it may not seem that it's by a lot but there used to be no difference in price. Also £5 a week difference really does add up, when you start looking round accommodation when you don't live in college you suddenly realise how big a difference £5 a week makes!

Quick Reply

Latest