The Student Room Group

Lateness

Lateness is starting to get me really angry, whenever I have group work at uni the group turns up half late or not at all. Then I have friends who are worse than turn up 2 hours late. These people don't apologise and wonder if they have any respect at all.

What is the best way to deal with these people? I told a group member that employers will not find lateness acceptable and he thought it was ok to shout at me and call me thick, which personal insults are irrelevant. I wouldn't mind if their excuses were serious but they say they were with a friend or had a late night.
Reply 1
Well I think you went about telling the group member the wrong way. It probably came across as sounding snooty. My advice would just be to say 'Could you please let me know if you're going to be late?'. I think that will go down better than sounding like a parent.
i dont think 'i had a late night' is really a serious excuse.

I always take the philsophy if you should be somewhere at 9am, you should be ready to start by 8:55
Reply 3
Yeah I'm not saying you're wrong in wanting people to be punctual. I HATE it when I'm left waiting around without any news of what is going on! I'm always punctual unless there is some serious excuse that I couldn't make it in time and I always let people know in these situations..

But wait..are you a teacher or something? or just 'group work' as in for example you have to prepare a presentation together?
Arrange your schedule so you turn up 2 hours late as well.
Reply 5
Ok - i have problems with lateness! Basically it just comes down to me being an unrealistic, happy-go-lucky sort of person who always underestimated how long things will take. I genuinely feel terrible when I am late - its not a lack of respect thing, well not in my case.
Reply 6
Thing is though I was trying to be civilised by saying about the employer cos a lot of people were attacking him personally. Its just I could be doing things if they are going to be late, my friend keeps doing it too getting drunk and turning up late and not apologising. Its a case of a leopard never changes its spots and these people don't care as my brother is always late and he has no remorse.

Latest

Trending

Trending