My interview is tomorrow!

AAAAAAAAAAARH!
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Reply 181
Wooooo!!!! Do Me Proud Gf
Reply 182
Hi girls! I was an open applicant and was allocated at New Hall!
I got an interview and Im very anxious about it! My God! What are they going to ask me?:confused: :confused: Beetlebum good luck!! Is here any current student of New hall?
Reply 183
yep I'm a New Haller - third year now studying English!
L x
Reply 184
This thread's a bit quiet no? I'm awaiting my rejection, bah. Probably the best thing to do, don't want to get my hopes up lol.
Jasmine....no! Must think +ve.

Waiting is so haaaaaard!

This thread is a wee bit quiet indeed.
Reply 186
Have a lovely festive week, dudes -- not too long a wait, and this is supposed to be a FUN time of year! Get off TSR and go eat mince pies or go for a walk somewhere or something! :smile:
Reply 187
hey!!
I have an offer for engineering at new hall! Anybody else out there??? :smile:)
Reply 188
Woohoo! Congratulations! :biggrin:

I'm not a New Haller, but hang around here. :wink:
Reply 189
So epitome you must know,
what is it like being a student in new hall and cambridge in general?
I wanted to ask whether it is compulsory to live in college halls, because i would really like to find somewhere closer to the engineering department to live in! Are there students living in private residence or college owned houses outside college promises?:smile:
Reply 190
Well, I don't know entirely what it's like at New Hall, 'cause I'm at Newnham...but my friends there give me a pretty good idea! It's great. :biggrin: Or, more accurately, it's as great as you let it be. :wink: (As with the whole of the Cambridge experience).

The college itself is really quite beautiful, in a modern kind of way. The garden is gorgeous, as you may have seen at your interview! Library's awesome, too. And New Hall has a college cat, and the President has cats...*hugs them*

So far as I know it's not compulsory to live in halls, but to be honest you probably should for the social side of things. Don't underestimate how important it is to get to know people...and how much easier that's made if you're living with them! New Hall really isn't that far from Engineering -- if you have a bike (which you can buy here, if you can't bring one with you), it's about 20/25 mins. Hardly horrific. (If you're asking because of an access or mobility problem, though, you'd be better to ask the college themselves. :smile: ) If you choose to 'live out' (as we call it!) in 2nd or 3rd yr, though, there are plenty of private lets in Cambridge, regularly used by students. But I would discourage you from living out at first, because you would miss out on so much.

I'm going to find Lins, who will be better able to answer your New Hall specific questions! *runs off* :smile:
Reply 191
Thank you!
I'm so excited I wish I were there already!!!:smile:)
Reply 192
I just got an interview from New Hall after being pooled. I'm glad I've been fished out! Does anyone know if you just have the one pool interview or if you have several?
Is the food still as good as it was according to the old threads?
All girls? Probably my biggest concern right now!
Thanks!
Reply 193
The college website: http://www.newhall.cam.ac.uk/

Normally just one pool interview.

I don't hear complaints about NH food, and the formal hall is popular! :smile: It's pretty renowned for the grub, actually.

All girls? Well, every experience is made by the individual, but I have to say that I don't really notice that I'm at an all-female college -- and when I do, it's for good reasons! The education is totally mixed, of course, so it's not like you'll just be with women for your subject (particularly not in a male-heavy subject like Physics!) -- you will have lectures and lab practicals with mixed groups (unless chance makes it predominantly more one sex than another, but that's as likely to happen at any college).
There's a really good community amongst the 'hill' colleges (NH, Churchill & Fitzwilliam), with whom there is a joint orchestra, drama society & sports teams. And, just so you know, there are more men than women at both Fitz & Churchill. :wink:

On top of that, it's got a really relaxed, chilled out atmosphere. A good few people have a bit of a problem with the all-female thing before they come up, but the vast majority very quickly come to realise that it provides a fantastic platform from which to jump into the university (and world!) as a whole. The single-sex colleges are a starting point for complete freedom of action and thought, not a restriction or limitation! :smile:

Lins, who I hope should be around at some point (*nag nag nag*), actually applied to a different college and was pooled to NH. She absolutely flipping LOVES it, and became JCR Access officer (encouraging people to apply!). That tells you quite a lot, hopefully!
Reply 194
The president's cat always used to come in my window and take up residence on my bed and try and climb all over my shoulders.

:smile:
Reply 195
Awww! :smile:
Hello next door college! I got an offer from Fitzwilliam, just wanted to check you're not all weirdos.j So, are you?
Reply 197
*grins*

Come out, New Hallers, and defend yourself against this impudent upstart from next-door! :p: :biggrin:
Reply 198
btw, does anybody know what's the accommodation like at new hall? And the price range??
Reply 199
The very cheapest is a shared split double at £400 a term, the most expensive are in buck house and canning and eliza house at about £1000 a term. Basically anything ensuite is going to be the top price.

I was in a split double in first year and it was about £400, 2nd year was in Old Block and about £700 a term, third year in Hammond House and was about £800 a term.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/New_Hall%2C_Cambridge

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending