The Student Room Group

How are you financing uni?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by acbalex
Oh ok how what is their typical offer with highers? Yeah aha, come on you guys get like 30% of the places marked off, we are just used as filler when they want a bit more dosh but are fed up of the American accent :wink: yeah that's quite good, it's about ten hours for me! Oh nice, good choices :smile: I applied for Kings, Exeter, Birmingham, leeds and St A. But I've heard from all so firmed Andrews and got birmingham as back up :smile: it seems really cool! Did you consider any of the joints? All of mine but St. Andrews were combined with politics actually, how about you?

Their typical offer is 4 A's/ 4A's and a B. So I surpass the typical offer. Haha true, but 30% of places isn't a lot. If you're Scottish in St Andrews you're an anomaly! I decided to stick to Scotland, I can't go to uni in England anyway without doing a year at college first. Mine are taking ages to get back. I would quite like to combine with psychology or maybe philosophy. I've applied for mainly just politics courses, but politics and IR at Aberdeen.
Money from parents and student loan. It will come to £883 a month (combined) but i'llhave to pay my accommodation out of that :frown:
Reply 22
Original post by EllieO'Keeffe
Their typical offer is 4 A's/ 4A's and a B. So I surpass the typical offer. Haha true, but 30% of places isn't a lot. If you're Scottish in St Andrews you're an anomaly! I decided to stick to Scotland, I can't go to uni in England anyway without doing a year at college first. Mine are taking ages to get back. I would quite like to combine with psychology or maybe philosophy. I've applied for mainly just politics courses, but politics and IR at Aberdeen.

Oh ok, I just scrapped the typical offer with my predicted! So I'm sure you'll get an offer! Isn't there something like 400 places? that is quite a bit surely? Fair enough, oh I didn't realise, that must be a pain! Aha this is so weird I am considering combining IR with philosophy too! oh cool :smile:
Original post by acbalex
Oh ok, I just scrapped the typical offer with my predicted! So I'm sure you'll get an offer! Isn't there something like 400 places? that is quite a bit surely? Fair enough, oh I didn't realise, that must be a pain! Aha this is so weird I am considering combining IR with philosophy too! oh cool :smile:

I sure hope so! I'm not sure, but I know the competition is 15 applicants per place. Yeah cause uni courses in Scotland are 4 years so college is needed to do the 3 year course unless you've done advanced highers.
Yeah I'm taking philosophy higher so I have a good background.
Parents :frown:

We don't get student loans in the Isle of Man so they have to cough up a lot of money, they don't seem to mind though.
Reply 26
Financial assistance from my father. Should be ~£100 a week on top of my loan.
I got a student loan, some help from family, and worked all the way through uni.
The Scottish are so lucky to have their university education free :eek:
To answer your question though, parents are paying for mine :/
Home student
Original post by PurpleMash
The Scottish are so lucky to have their university education free :eek:
To answer your question though, parents are paying for mine :/

There is no shame in your parents helping you out, its not your fault that the loan is to small to live off!
Original post by Zachary T-H
There is no shame in your parents helping you out, its not your fault that the loan is to small to live off!

Actually, I am not ashamed at all to have my parents paying for my education. It is the best feeling ever, especially knowing I won't be in debt when I graduate!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Princepieman
not a lot, like £40k total

Damn, if £40k isn't 'a lot' these days...
Original post by PurpleMash
Actually, I am not ashamed at all to have my parents paying for my education. It is the best feeling ever, especially knowing I won't be in debt when I graduate!

Paying for the whole thing up front? that's pretty cool, my parents are helping me with living expenses (7k a year but ill have the maintenance loan too) I was given money that I could pay the fees with and leave debt free but I'd rather have the money in the bank, who knows when I might need a flat deposit!:tongue:
Student Loan, Money I have saved up over the past 2 years from working and some help from my parents (they are helping with accommodation fees as they don't want me to have to work at uni because they think if I have to work during time I could be studying I will fail! :L)
My parents are fine with paying my living costs but I plan on helping to finance it myself as well.
Original post by молодой гений
Damn, if £40k isn't 'a lot' these days...

Well, it was accrued by my parents over a 15 year period with compounding interest. If more risk was taken it could have been a bit more.
Well, it was accrued by my parents over a 15 year period with compounding interest. If more risk was taken it could have been a bit more.

Still doesn't change the fact that most people here won't ever seen that kinda money in one go unless it's a loan, £40,000 is a massive amount of money and people who think it is isn't either 1. Come from a very rich background 2. Have no idea what money is.

With £40k I could pay for all my student fee's including Living cost, accommodation, tuition fees for all 3 years and not have any debt, if that is just one of the ways you are getting money why are you getting a student loan as well? are you planning on spending that 40k on something?! most people make it through on student loan by itself! that's just 40 grand extra for spending money!
Original post by Calum.McManus
Still doesn't change the fact that most people here won't ever seen that kinda money in one go unless it's a loan, £40,000 is a massive amount of money and people who think it is isn't either 1. Come from a very rich background 2. Have no idea what money is.

With £40k I could pay for all my student fee's including Living cost, accommodation, tuition fees for all 3 years and not have any debt, if that is just one of the ways you are getting money why are you getting a student loan as well? are you planning on spending that 40k on something?! most people make it through on student loan by itself! that's just 40 grand extra for spending money!

I'm saving it for a deposit on a house, so I won't be touching it at all really.

I'm not rich, neither are my parents we're just comfortably middle class - especially as my dad (who was the major earner) passed away 5 years ago..

I have ambition and know how to make money because my parents have always encouraged me to be smart about money and invest from an early age. So, yeah, I understand it is a lot to most people but I feel in the grand scheme of things its not that much and I aspire to create even more wealth for my family and the community around me.

Oh, you're one of those...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending