The Student Room Group

Changing subject to nursng

Currently have 5 computer science offers.

Always liked the idea of nursing.

Didn't pick it because I was told that I had to get all my UCAS done before December. (Basically, had to play it safe because I was put on the spot a bit)

What do I need to do in order to reopen the ability to do nursing?
Is clearing an option, if so how/what extra requirements would there be?
Or is it a case of "come back next year" (I could do a gap year but would like to avoid it if possible)

Thanks for any info that can be provided
Reply 1
Original post by CanINurse
Currently have 5 computer science offers.

Always liked the idea of nursing.

Didn't pick it because I was told that I had to get all my UCAS done before December. (Basically, had to play it safe because I was put on the spot a bit)

What do I need to do in order to reopen the ability to do nursing?
Is clearing an option, if so how/what extra requirements would there be?
Or is it a case of "come back next year" (I could do a gap year but would like to avoid it if possible)

Thanks for any info that can be provided

First thing you need to do is look see if your predicted grades or the qualifications you already have meet the requirements to get into nursing. Usually something along the lines of C at GCSE in Maths and English then a science subject, preferably biology (doesn't matter too much as long as you've done a science but some do ask for biology) and then the UCAS points.

Second hurdle, do you actually have any experience of nursing? Any related work experience? It is possible to get in without any from what I hear but it is kind of rare.

Lastly, I know you said you don't particularly want to do a gap year but if you're serious about nursing it could be an opportunity to test the waters. Getting some proper hands on experience, observing is all well and good but you never know how you're going to feel about changing an incontinence pad or assisting changing ulcer dressings until you actually do it. I started out doing agency work in nursing homes for over a year and now i've worked in a hospital for 8 months. The past 2 years have made me see i've got what it takes to nurse and i'm off to study in September now at 25 so taking a little time out to get some experience and earn a bit of money isn't so bad. :redface:
Reply 2
fair enough there
i was a little worried about putting off uni for another year (as i am already a year delayed)
however, i have just remembered someone saying that its more common to have people a few years older applying (a friend who applied last year said this)

i suppose a gap year would be the best way to prepare now (i have some experience, but nothing particularly impressive, might apply to do caring then.
Reply 3
Original post by CanINurse
fair enough there
i was a little worried about putting off uni for another year (as i am already a year delayed)
however, i have just remembered someone saying that its more common to have people a few years older applying (a friend who applied last year said this)

i suppose a gap year would be the best way to prepare now (i have some experience, but nothing particularly impressive, might apply to do caring then.

If you don't want to put it off for a whole year I know a lot of universities do two intakes a year so in september you could apply for a january/march intake and would get you started a bit quicker and then you've still got time to get some experience and that. :redface:
Reply 4
ah I get you, so basically I would have my grades and have experience but not have to wait as long

it now makes a bit more sense why they are there (the mid year entrance ones)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending