The Student Room Group

Good weight for a goblet squat?

What is a respectable weight for goblet squat?

20kg? 30kg? 40kg? __kg? DB

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
I don't think there's such a thing as a respectable weight to goblet squat.
Worded badly.

I just started them last night. I could do 24kg easy, but could feel it was getting tight in my wrists. So I am wondering what sort of weights are generally too light or too heavy for this exercise? For a typical noob with a BBell squat at 80kg.
Reply 3
I've never tried but I'd imagine the weight you can hold will be a limiting factor rather than leg strength. They are usful for learning to squat but I don't see any point in doing them otherwise- why do you want to?
Strengthen my core as well as improving form.
If you want to improve your squat form then squat.
I use my kettlebell @28kg. Obv I could easily do more but it is the heaviest thing I have at home ATM.
Reply 7
It improves squats on a fairly basic level, most people get the benefit from it quite quick so there's no need to do it for long. Even if it were taking you a while to get the benefit, it's technique work so don't worry abut weight.

For core training, front and back squats both do the job. I'm not sure you'd even hold enough weight to get much core work. There's so many more efficient exercises for it too.
Original post by BKS
It improves squats on a fairly basic level, most people get the benefit from it quite quick so there's no need to do it for long. Even if it were taking you a while to get the benefit, it's technique work so don't worry abut weight.

For core training, front and back squats both do the job. I'm not sure you'd even hold enough weight to get much core work. There's so many more efficient exercises for it too.

Fair enough, but there are only two squat racks in my gym, so on days like today when I am waiting 20mins for a rack, I can just pick up a dumbbell and start warming up.

I would love to do front squats, but I don't know how. My form sucks on both front and back squats, and I suck at learning from videos and people telling me what to do...I learn much better from squating wrongly and someone pointing out what I am doing wrong and how to correct it.
Original post by Smack
If you want to improve your squat form then squat.

my hips, lower back and upper back are all weak as ****.

I have the hips of a ladyboy. Nohomo.

I was even struggling on 70kg today, ****ing beastmode or what right?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Et Tu, Brute?

I have the hips of a ladyboy. Nohomo.

I was even struggling on 70kg today, ****ing beastmode or what right?

Posted from TSR Mobile

And by squatting, you'll strengthen the muscles involved in squatting, and also get the form nailed down.
Reply 11
Fair enough, but there are only two squat racks in my gym, so on days like today when I am waiting 20mins for a rack, I can just pick up a dumbbell and start warming up.

I would love to do front squats, but I don't know how. My form sucks on both front and back squats, and I suck at learning from videos and people telling me what to do...I learn much better from squating wrongly and someone pointing out what I am doing wrong and how to correct it.

As a warm up it's not a bad idea so long as you still do a few warm up sets with the bar

Folk who don't front squat usually need to start with mobility work, there's stuff in the FAQ if you need info. It'll benefit your back squat as well.

You can always film yourself and post videos on here for technique advice
Original post by BKS
As a warm up it's not a bad idea so long as you still do a few warm up sets with the bar

Folk who don't front squat usually need to start with mobility work, there's stuff in the FAQ if you need info. It'll benefit your back squat as well.

You can always film yourself and post videos on here for technique advice

Yeah the motorbiker guy has been asking for videos, thing is I'm not sure how I could video it. Guess I could try my gopro but I can't tell if the angle is good since there is no screen. Might take a few sessions before I got the angle.

And yeah I still do warmup starting at just the bar, but skip out 30kg and go straight to 40.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Yeah the motorbiker guy has been asking for videos, thing is I'm not sure how I could video it. Guess I could try my gopro but I can't tell if the angle is good since there is no screen. Might take a few sessions before I got the angle.

And yeah I still do warmup starting at just the bar, but skip out 30kg and go straight to 40.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I sit my phone on the floor. When my front camera was broke I had to set it up, do a test, adjust as needed before filming my actual set- not that much of a faff. But if you ask someone to film so you can check your form they probably won't mind, it's no more inconvenient than giving a spot
Reply 14

in co-operate pullups/lat pulldowns in your workout. Oh and EAT! (careful not to eat too much though you'll get fat pretty quick if you do and it wont be fun trying to lose it...been there done that wasn't fun)

I started around your bodyweight 65ish kg then now i weigh in at 80kg and im not fat :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest