The Student Room Group

I'm late and I'm confused.

Hi all, I have been out of education for a few years and I'm looking to get back in to it. My interest would be mathematics and I am under the impression that taking a BSc including a foundation year is my best bet to get myself back in to the flow on things.

My concern is that I am rather confused as to where I stand right now for applications, what should I be doing?

Should I be phoning Universities and seeing if they still have spaces on the course?

Should I be waiting for Extra? I don't actually have a UCAS application completed yet so I am unsure how Extra would work for me.

Sorry if these are FAQs, I did check the threads but I'm still confused.
Original post by Caramacks
Hi all, I have been out of education for a few years and I'm looking to get back in to it. My interest would be mathematics and I am under the impression that taking a BSc including a foundation year is my best bet to get myself back in to the flow on things.

My concern is that I am rather confused as to where I stand right now for applications, what should I be doing?

Should I be phoning Universities and seeing if they still have spaces on the course?

Should I be waiting for Extra? I don't actually have a UCAS application completed yet so I am unsure how Extra would work for me.

Sorry if these are FAQs, I did check the threads but I'm still confused.

You can start a new application to use UCAS extra if you want. I think at this stage, waiting for UCAS Extra makes most sense, as you can see all the spaces available without having to ring multiple universities. Many unis you ring up now will probably tell you to wait for Extra anyway. Once Extra opens, it is a good idea to ring unis before applying to check they do still have spaces, and will accept you.

While waiting for Extra to open, you can begin working on your application- find someone to be your referee and start working on your personal statement. You could also start researching universities you might be interested in going to.

Unis may be concerned by your break from studying maths- have you used maths in your job or studied maths in any way since finishing education?
Reply 2
Original post by SlowlorisIncognito
You can start a new application to use UCAS extra if you want. I think at this stage, waiting for UCAS Extra makes most sense, as you can see all the spaces available without having to ring multiple universities. Many unis you ring up now will probably tell you to wait for Extra anyway. Once Extra opens, it is a good idea to ring unis before applying to check they do still have spaces, and will accept you.

While waiting for Extra to open, you can begin working on your application- find someone to be your referee and start working on your personal statement. You could also start researching universities you might be interested in going to.

Unis may be concerned by your break from studying maths- have you used maths in your job or studied maths in any way since finishing education?

It's been three years since I've studied it at college, I did get a B though.
I'm a bit worried about a reference, I do not have anybody who would be able to write one.

I will get on with Extra! How does that work compared to a normal application making an additional choice? I don't have an application posted at all yet.
Original post by Caramacks
It's been three years since I've studied it at college, I did get a B though.
I'm a bit worried about a reference, I do not have anybody who would be able to write one.

I will get on with Extra! How does that work compared to a normal application making an additional choice? I don't have an application posted at all yet.

Extra will work exactly the same as usual- you will be able to make one choice at a time, the uni will have to reply before you can make another one. You won't be able to have an insurance choice, but as you have your grades, this shouldn't be as much of an issue. You will obviously need to finish an application before adding a choice.

You will need a reference- it could be from a recent employer or volunteering leader, though. If you were at college three years ago, your tutor may well still be there, and willing to write you a reference. Start exploring your options now, as most universities will not accept you without a reference.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending