The Student Room Group

Would you share your boyfriend/girlfriend romantically with someone else?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Joel21
Following on from my Is Monogamy dead thread I want to know would anyone share the man or woman they love with another man/woman? Picture a scenario where you're deeply in love with your partner but they tell you they've fallen in love with someone else, they still love you deeply but want to be in a relationship with you and this other person, would you accept it? Could you share the love for the sake of your partner? Discuss.
Are you on drugs?
Reply 81
Why do you say that?
Never. A relationship is between two people only.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Absolutely not, I would not share with anyone, if they wanted to do that then they would have to go
Reply 84
Only men seem to share, there must be a psychological reason for it but i'm not sure what it is.
naw
Reply 86
Again it's only women saying no, if this question was for men only it would be the other way around.
I wouldn't do a three way relationship - that's just overwhelming alone.
Also, where's the individual support? You could love one more than another, or possibly sleep with the other person more than the other.
Overall, I don't find it balanced.
A relationship is a tie between two people - if there's no firm bond, you may as well be single. A human isn't a cookie to share with someone. They are like ourselves complex creatures with difficulties that can sometimes be hard to share with others and this is where relationship value is shared. Would you want your partner to be close to someone romantically when you share everything with them, then they share their all with someone else? So overall -no.
I think polyamory is a rather fascinating concept, from what I've read about it, but it's probably not for me personally. Sounds like too much potential for complications. But kudos to people who manage it.
Reply 89
I'm more interested in getting more mens views on this.
Reply 90
Anyone else?
No.

I'm neither weak or submissive enough.
Well my fiancé is Muslim and I'm Catholic in the Islamic culture they are allowed up to 4 wives but if my fiancé came up to me and told me he loved someone else but he still wanted to be with me there would be a part of me that wouldn't be ok with it but as part of the Islamic culture I would have to be ok with it
Reply 93
Reply 94
Original post by Rakas21
No.

I'm neither weak or submissive enough.
I'd say it's weak and submissive not to share personally. Most guys in this thread have said they would share, you sir are in the minority.
I'd consider an open relationship situation. I don't see my current relationship lasting into the long term though so that could be why.
Original post by Joel21
I'd say it's weak and submissive not to share personally. Most guys in this thread have said they would share, you sir are in the minority.

Nope, your a cuckold. I am in the minority, I value my relationships.
Reply 97
Original post by Rakas21
Nope, your a cuckold. I am in the minority, I value my relationships.
Yes you are in the minority i'm afraid, most women now want more than 1 man in a relationship and identify as non monogamus or polyamorous. Women now realise that 1 man cannot satisfy them alone. Goodluck trying to find a girl that still practices monogamy in this day and age.
Perhaps we have all been brought up in the one partner system and are closed of to other possibilities from the outset.

I know some communities practice polygamy, the Mormons (US) but tend to get the impression its not particularly equally done there, i.e one greedy guy getting it on with a load of girls.

The seventies was also known as a time of 'free love', particularly in the hippy culture, std's a possible problem though.

I think some new age traveller types may be into it present day but am not aware of other groups that do it, but its not my area of expertise.

I think many people tend to be brought up with a pack mentality, and unwillingness to share relationships with others, a kind of inward looking self interest view.

May be we should be more open to at least thinking about and discussing monogamous, polyamourous, etc relationships without taking such a gut reaction. It may well be the world could be a happier place if people are more open and less territorial in relationships. For us men it could make sense to share the hot women rather than some of us unhappily go without, who knows it could work out well for all concerned.
Reply 99
Well said sir, it's time to start sharing our women with other men. I envision a future where all women will have multiple men but us men will be fully commited to one woman, it's already happening now and soon one man one woman will be a thing of the past.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending