The Student Room Group

Personal Statement for one Uni?

Does it help if in your personal statement you write that you want to go to one particular uni, and explain why?
For example, if i really wanted to go to UCL would i get higher chances if i say that UCL is the best university in the world and i wanna go there because bla bla bla?
I'm asking because i am really considering only one university in England, but threw in 5 more just because i could. However, i'm not planning to go there even if get admitted (i am also applying to US).

I would really appreciate an answer
Nope. My careers teacher told my year not to mention any universities in your personal statement no matter how much you would rather go to that one over the rest. It introduces bias into your statement. And mentioning a certain Uni isnt going to win them over if thats what you are thinking. From your personal statement, admissions tutors are looking to see if you have the skills and suitablity for a course, not if you want to go to a specific university. So basically, dont mention that you really wish to go to UCL. The only way to knock their socks off is to present a personal statement showing that you are very keen and enthusiastic on taking the subject/course and that you have the relevant dedication and skills.
Does that make sense?:rolleyes:
Reply 2
abrp
if you are not going to bother accepting offers for the other 5 dont be a dick and take up other potential candidates chances who actually want to go there.

w0rd homie.

No but seriously, just don't mention a specific university as they aren't looking for suck ups.
I really wouldn't advise doing that. It will probably result in straight rejections from the other 5 unis you apply to, and if you definitely wouldn't consider going to any of them, abrp made a good point that you shouldn't waste their time by applying. As for UCL, obviously unis want to know that you'll be happy there, but writing about how great they are won't make a difference. You may want to go there, but are you good enough to go there? That's what you have to convince them of in your personal statement.

Latest

Trending

Trending