The Student Room Group

Cracked screen - Dead pixels (i think)?

Hey everyone,

I just cracked my laptops screen and now around the crack it is black which i assume is due to the dead pixels? anyways it is an extremely thin crack in the corner, you cant feel it and if it wasnt for the pixels you wouldnt be able to see it however it caused dead pixels covering up so much of my screen, I was wondering if there was a way to fix this by myself?
if the screens cracked the number of dead pixels will likely increase as time goes by. probably best to replace the screen
Original post by Gaming_Hippy
if the screens cracked the number of dead pixels will likely increase as time goes by. probably best to replace the screen

How much would it cost?
Depends on who fixes it normally the part is around £30 put if you dont know how to replace it you will have to get someone to do it
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by harry218
How much would it cost?

You'll probably need to contact the manufacturer to get the right part. What sort of laptop are you using?
I fixed my cracked laptop screen and it cost me £28 on Amazon for the LCD

Theres a bunch of YouTube tutorials on how to do it
Original post by jameswhughes
You'll probably need to contact the manufacturer to get the right part. What sort of laptop are you using?

Sony vaio, 15inch. But it is literally the smallest crack no more than 1cm and its unnoticeable, it's just the pixels around it. Can you not just get a specific part of the screen mended?
Oh really, I'll have a look on youtube. I think I will end up just buying a new laptop as opposed to getting this fixed
Sony vaio, 15inch. But it is literally the smallest crack no more than 1cm and its unnoticeable, it's just the pixels around it. Can you not just get a specific part of the screen mended?

Maybe, it will vary between laptops and how severe the damage is. Sony has sold off the Vaio business, so I wouldn't expect to get any support for your machine easily.

Also, like you say it might be easier just to get a new laptop, especially if your Vaio is a few years old you'd be better off putting your money into a fresh computer instead of repairs.
Original post by jameswhughes
Maybe, it will vary between laptops and how severe the damage is. Sony has sold off the Vaio business, so I wouldn't expect to get any support for your machine easily.

Also, like you say it might be easier just to get a new laptop, especially if your Vaio is a few years old you'd be better off putting your money into a fresh computer instead of repairs.

Oh I didn't know that! Yeah I have had it for a couple years so I think I'll get a new one. I don't suppose you have any recommendations for a good value student laptop for university?
Oh I didn't know that! Yeah I have had it for a couple years so I think I'll get a new one. I don't suppose you have any recommendations for a good value student laptop for university?

Depends how much you're willing to spend. I'd recommend a MacBook to anyone who can afford one (you'd be looking at over £700 here), as a student the excellent battery life and light weight is really useful, then there's the operating system, quality, big trackpad, support etc.

At the low end of the market, Chromebooks are reasonable for something cheap (around £200).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending