The Student Room Group

Nursing interviews for University!

Hey, I have applied for children's nursing (sept 2007 intake) and was wondering if any of you could give me any advice about the interviews and what sort of questions the unis ask. :confused:

I have put the unis I have applied for in my signiture so it would be very helpful if any of you have had interviews at these, if not, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks guys! :smile: :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Hi, it's a few years since I had my interviews for (adult) nursing, but the interviews varied massively between universities. Leeds was ridiculously easy, they basically just asked you about three questions and then offered there and then, whereas Sheffield asked some very tricky questions (there was another one where we had to do group exercises), so you may find some are cakewalks and others horrors. Just be clear in your own mind why you want to be a nurse, and why you want to do Child branch in particular, and try not to let nerves get to you too much. It's also worth getting into the habit of reading the nursing press and the health pages in the papers etc, if you don't already, because then you'll be able to show that you're interested and aware of current events and issues.
Reply 2
I've just recently heard back from City University, where i applied to do Adult Nursing. I got an interview coming up in two weeks time so it would be great if anyone here could advise people like me on what to expect at interviews.....?
Reply 3
I had my interview on Northumbria, they asked things like what qualities does a good nurse need, what do you think is the MOST important quality in a nurse, if you had £1m to spend on healthcare, what would you spend it on and why, and you had to answer the usual interview questions of what are your skills and weaknesses, what do you think your acheivements are to date, and where do you see yourself in 10 years time.
Reply 4
I loved going for all my interviews. The majority of them were one to one, or me and a few interviewers. They asked questions like
"why do you want to be a nurse?"
"what is the role of a nurse?"
"why do you want to come to this uni?"
"What skills do you have that would make you suitable for this course?"
"how will you manage time?"
"how will you manage stress?"

That kind of thing really.
For City uni i had a group interview, and that got a bit competetive. All the applicants had to pick up a card, on each of which was a statement, we then
had to start a discussion with the rest of that group on that statement.

You'll get lots of time to ask the interviewers questions about the course too, and although they are interviews, they are not too formal or uncomfortable.

In every interview i had i also had to write a short essay and do a short maths test too. But they were all really easy and nothing really to worry about.

Good luck!
Jo
xxx
Reply 5
Naima
I've just recently heard back from City University, where i applied to do Adult Nursing. I got an interview coming up in two weeks time so it would be great if anyone here could advise people like me on what to expect at interviews.....?

Hey is ur interview on the 12th of december coz mine is 2? write bak it would b gd 2 kno sum1 b4 we go it gives us a head start xxx
Reply 6
That was from last November! :smile:
Reply 7
hahaha didnt read it tidy just saw nov lol neva mind
Reply 8
i never had an interview for nursing :proud:
Reply 9
Trigger
i never had an interview for nursing :proud:

how come!
lucky lucky

xxxxxxxxx
Reply 10
Coz im great i guess :s-smilie: No idea
Reply 11
Hi, I've got an interview for Child Nursing on wednesday and the university has told me that they are going to give me a maths and english test for 45 mins each. For the english test I'm going to be required to write a 250-500 word essay about a topic relevant to nursing which they are going to tell me on the day.
Does anyone have any ideas about what kind of topics have been asked about before? Anyone with any relevant information or where I could get futher help from please could you reply before wednesday.Thank you very much.
Reply 12
I'm applying for a nursing dilpoma starting January 2010.
During the interview are you asked about any pre booked holidays? As my parents are getting married on the 14 September 2010 and are going for two weeks. Surely this would interfere with my course, but its something out of my control that I can't exactly miss.
Would they not except me because of this?
Should I bring it up?
What date do uni students go back in September?

Thanks x
Reply 13
nicole.17
I'm applying for a nursing dilpoma starting January 2010.
During the interview are you asked about any pre booked holidays? As my parents are getting married on the 14 September 2010 and are going for two weeks. Surely this would interfere with my course, but its something out of my control that I can't exactly miss.
Would they not except me because of this?
Should I bring it up?
What date do uni students go back in September?

Thanks x

Honestly don't worry about it. You might miss a day or two of academic, but I doubt it, most unis are 'early' if they start before the end of September.

And if you're on clinical placement, you can most likely take a couple of days off, you can always make up time, move holidays round etc. They won't ask you about it I'm sure.
Reply 14
suek
Honestly don't worry about it. You might miss a day or two of academic, but I doubt it, most unis are 'early' if they start before the end of September.

And if you're on clinical placement, you can most likely take a couple of days off, you can always make up time, move holidays round etc. They won't ask you about it I'm sure.

Oh thanks. They booked it today, and the only date they could get was flying out on the 21st, so coming back on the 6th :frown:

I really hope this doesn't affect uni too much.
i have a interview on Friday and i am really scared i really am worried what questions they would ask me and i dont no what to say can anyone help me plz i really need help thanks
Reply 16
Hey... I have an interview coming up in a few weeks for nursing at city...does anyone know what the maths and literacy test consist of? And what kinda questions they may ask?
Any help would be very much appreciated!
thanks xx
Reply 17
Hi,
I have an interview at Huddersfield uni for the adult nursing degree on Wednesday and was wondering if anybody had been to one. Its one of them 4 hours interviews with the group discussion, activities etc. What would be the best thing to wear? What can i expect?

Thanks
Reply 18
:o: Hi,

I have had an interview at Southampton uni for Child Nursing and received an unconditional offer! I also have an interview tomorrow for Cardiff uni!
Typical questions were: why do you want to be a nurse and study your particular branch, what do you think is the role of a nurse, what do you think makes a good nurse, what is the most important quality in a nurse, where does nursing take place (i.e. not just hospitals but gp, community, patients homes), what do you intend to get out of your studies, why do you want to come to this uni, what skills make you suitable for this course, what experience do you have, strengths and weaknesses, how will you manage your time, how do you cope with stress, how do you deal with criticism/authority, if you had a large amount of money to spend on healthcare what would you spend it on and why, what do you know about current nursing issues in the media (swine flu, job cuts are a good bet), what challenges affect nursing in the uk (job cuts, bad press, statistics more readily available to public), how would you cope with the death of a patient, your inspirations, your greatest achievement, why is communication important, why is teamwork important, what does confidentiality mean and why is it important, what do you know about consent, how would you handle challenging patients, what do you think is the worst part of nursing, what are your future plans.

I hope this isn't too exhaustive...better to be over prepared! They always ask if you have any questions so prepare some ready e.g. ask about topics covered in the course, placements, accomodation if stuck! Also if you have a group interview some tips may be to make sure you let others talk and also ask them what they think (this shows good team work).

The interview I had consisted of maths and english (which were quite simple), group interview and one to one interview. They want to get to know you, and they already like you or they wouldn't have asked you to interview! Be yourself and don't worry! Just make sure your clear why you want to study nursing. They expect you to be nervous so they're always very welcoming.

Tips on what to wear: No jeans or trainers! Don't go too formal e.g. a suit, just black trousers and a shirt looks good. Accessorize if you like, you can have a personality!

Good luck to all

Any questions give me a shout...I hope this helps

Jodie xxx
Reply 19
oh and if your unsure about maths and english there are some great practice tests and revision notes online. Just type in key skills numeracy level 2 into search engine and it comes up with loads.

GCSE Bitesize, keyskillsforyou.com, move-on.org.uk are all good :smile:

Jodie xxx

Latest

Trending

Trending