The Student Room Group

Chances of changing course when getting to uni?

I'm looking at going to Bath for chemical engineering, but I've realized that it'd be so much easier and enjoyable for myself if I did something more maths related at Bath like finance or mathematics. They're offering higher grades than chemical engineering and I don't really want to take the STEP test for maths. Assuming I get pretty good grades to meet the requirement of the course I want to change to, how likely is it that I'll be able to change course during the first year of uni?
Chemical engineering and maths/finance will probably be run by different departments and finance is likely to be part of a different faculty. It's usually easier to change courses within a department/faculty, and it might not be very easy to change between two fairly unrelated subjects.

Also, if you don't take STEP, you won't meet the entry requirements for the course, which again means you're less likely to be allowed to change. Bath has a good reputation for maths, so it's not that likely that they'll be desperate for maths students in September.

You could ask Bath now how easy it would be to change to a non-engineering course, before you decide whether or not to accept the offer.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending