The Student Room Group

Need to have a rant (tuition fees)...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Shashasheesh
The full student loan + bursary isn't even that much more than what you get tbh I really don't know how anyone could afford to save for a boob job on it... Are you sure this girl isn't doing some kind of "Work" as well? :confused:

I think its pretty hard to come up with a fair system... Personally I'm happy for my taxes to be spent on assisting underprivileged kids to get an education but would be kinda annoyed if someone who had wealthy parents and possibly been to private school got the same. University is a choice at the end of the day, if you are really uncomfortable taking money from your parents maybe consider getting a full time job for a few years to save for it yourself (something a lot of poor kids have to do even with the full grant). Honestly though, anyone who's parents CAN help them is very lucky... I know it feels unpleasant taking their money but ultimately they are giving it to you because they want to help you do well without you having to get a loan (which you would have to pay interest on)

1) No she receives over £7k maintenance and also £3k bursary which obviously doesn't have to be paid back, so that is plenty to be able to save.
2) I am already at uni so obviously I'm not gunna drop out and get a full time job, there is no point in that and tbh I do not know anyone that has done that.
3) you don't have to pay interest on a student loan?
Reply 41
Original post by shiva300

Yes, yes you do.
All I'm gunna say in response to this, is how is it fair that they're getting enough money to spend on holidays and boob jobs? That's tax payers money, that they're not even spending towards their education or standard of living.

It might not be 'fair' now, but how is it 'fair' that you happened to be born into a richer family than they were, and so presumably enjoyed a nicer upbringing, living in a better house, decent holidays, nicer clothes etc? What did you personally do to deserve those 18 better years than they did? Nothing, right? One could at least make a case that they deserve to have a decent life now on account of their time until uni probably being relatively bad, and yet in spite of that they still managed to get the grades and go to university. At any rate, it's a more deserving case than you having 18 years of the good life simply cos mum and dad had a good job. Do you think it's fair you're probably going to inherit more than them, on account of your parents being richer an all? What have you done to deserve that money?

So consider this part of redressing the balance.
Reply 43
Original post by voiceofreason234
It might not be 'fair' now, but how is it 'fair' that you happened to be born into a richer family than they were, and so presumably enjoyed a nicer upbringing, living in a better house, decent holidays, nicer clothes etc? What did you personally do to deserve those 18 better years than they did? Nothing, right? One could at least make a case that they deserve to have a decent life now on account of their time until uni probably being relatively bad, and yet in spite of that they still managed to get the grades and go to university. At any rate, it's a more deserving case than you having 18 years of the good life simply cos mum and dad had a good job. Do you think it's fair you're probably going to inherit more than them, on account of your parents being richer an all? What have you done to deserve that money?

So consider this part of redressing the balance.

you know what, you can really f*** off getting self-righteous with me, I was not born into a "rich family" my dad came from a poor working class family in the west of Scotland, his mum didn't even eat most evenings just so he and his siblings could. my mum came from an average family in England. They both had to work extremely hard to provide what they have for my sister and I. So take your assumptions elsewhere.
Reply 44
Original post by Quady
Yes, yes you do.

okay yeah I got that wrong, doesn't make a difference to my argument though
The fact that the Conservatives increased the tuition fees up to £9000 per annum isn't much of a problem to be honest. People should invest in themselves, not make someone else pay for their education. The only type of people that will have a problem with this are a few faith groups.
you know what, you can really f*** off getting self-righteous with me, I was not born into a "rich family" my dad came from a poor working class family in the west of Scotland, his mum didn't even eat most evenings just so he and his siblings could. my mum came from an average family in England. They both had to work extremely hard to provide what they have for my sister and I. So take your assumptions elsewhere.

Never said your mum or dad didn't work hard, though I do find it amusing how everyone has some 'dragged myself up from the gutter' story in these threads.

The question is - what did you personally do to enjoy the better 18 years that you have had, over someone born to a lower income family? And if the answer is 'nothing', then you can hardly start jumping up and down in fury when others get something that you don't deem they did anything for either.
Reply 47
Original post by Raymat
The fact that the Conservatives increased the tuition fees up to £9000 per annum isn't much of a problem to be honest. People should invest in themselves, not make someone else pay for their education. The only type of people that will have a problem with this are a few faith groups.

So abolish state schools then.
Original post by Quady
So abolish state schools then.

Nope when you reach the age of 18, which is the age you will be when you start university, your an adult and have the decision to go university. School education is compulsory so it would be illogical to charge tuition fees for that as you can't force someone to pay for fees. An adult should invest in themselves and I'm pretty sure that most working class citizens will be against the idea of paying extra tax so that people can get free university. What benefit will they gain from paying extra tax?
Reply 49
Original post by Raymat
Nope when you reach the age of 18, which is the age you will be when you start university, your an adult and have the decision to go university. School education is compulsory so it would be illogical to charge tuition fees for that as you can't force someone to pay for fees. An adult should invest in themselves and I'm pretty sure that most working class citizens will be against the idea of paying extra tax so that people can get free university. What benefit will they gain from paying extra tax?

OK, so stop state spending on your education when you reach age 18?
I think the system is incredibly unfair and everyone should get the same amount.

Posted from TSR Mobile
They can afford holidays? I come from a low income family so get a reasonable amount of student loan, but it just covers my halls fee. I saved up EME from my sixth form days and spent wisely the past 2 years in uni to ensure I had enough money. They must get help from their parents, so unfair.
Original post by Quady
OK, so stop state spending on your education when you reach age 18?

I am aware that there are some courses that are available to adults that are funded, but you will agree that university is the best investment you can make. A lot of these adult courses are to help certain members, who are unemployed and don't have much educational potential, get back to work so the public paying for them is not much of a problem as employed members of the public will benefit the public overall. The benefits of a degree will out weigh the fees. You pretty much are not going to get the same result with some rubbish 18+ course where your chances of getting a well paid job is not as high as with a degree. The government is aware of the benefits of university so why some must someone be given assistance when post graduation will give enough assistance? Also you haven't answered my last question.
Reply 53
Original post by Raymat
I am aware that there are some courses that are available to adults that are funded, but you will agree that university is the best investment you can make. A lot of these adult courses are to help certain members, who are unemployed and don't have much educational potential, get back to work so the public paying for them is not much of a problem as employed members of the public will benefit the public overall. The benefits of a degree will out weigh the fees. You pretty much are not going to get the same result with some rubbish 18+ course where your chances of getting a well paid job is not as high as with a degree. The government is aware of the benefits of university so why some must someone be given assistance when post graduation will give enough assistance? Also you haven't answered my last question.

I don't understand the logic. The state should:
- Pay for education for the unemployed get back to work as it will benefit the public (but somehow not the individual...?)
- Not pay for uni as it will benefit the individual (but somehow not the public...?)

I don't see how in either case both the public and the individual don't benefit.

Without a degree I'd be unlikely to be paying higher rate tax.

Sorry I missed your question, here are some responses:
- The working class wouldn't need to pay additional tax
- Either way they benefit from having a better skilled UK workforce providing a stronger economy
- The working class might like their kids to have Government support for getting their kids to uni
Reply 54
Wouldn't be too difficult to reduce most courses to a two year instead of 3 which would help all student tremendously saving a whole years costs / loans.
Why not - because the colleges have had it so good for so long and of course most of the accommodation is now privately owned so would screw up the returns.
Annoys me that should you be a do***r and have a shed load of kids at 16 you get a free house and lots of benefits. Surely the same funding should be given to students who will contribute to society and its costs on the future
Reply 55
As Morrissey says "They who wish to hurt you, Work within the law" for example the goverment/taxmen
The reason the system is so stacked against us is because we have not been active as student voters so those in positions to make decisions havent given a toss. The student union needs to be more active in mobilising students every year to vote and to vote independently of just what they hear from their parents. That way we start getting a fair crack of the whip.
(edited 9 years ago)
1) No she receives over £7k maintenance and also £3k bursary which obviously doesn't have to be paid back, so that is plenty to be able to save.
2) I am already at uni so obviously I'm not gunna drop out and get a full time job, there is no point in that and tbh I do not know anyone that has done that.

Of course you have to pay interest, its a loan!

http://www.nus.org.uk/en/advice/money-and-funding/average-costs-of-living-and-study/ The average costs of being a student according to nus.org.uk:

Roughly equals:

£709 travel
£1070 books & equipment
£5000 rent
£40 insurance
£2000 food
£300 for household goods

This would be the absolute basic amount for most people (London costs more) and it comes to over £9000 not including any leisure/clothes/nights out/extra travelling etc... If the girl you're moaning about really budgets that well then fair play to her! Most people are barely scraping by with their government funding alone. Obviously some areas in the UK are more expensive than others so it might be that living in some parts of the country would leave you with money to spare but that is simply not the case for most people.

You should be considering yourself lucky that you have parents who are happy to help you out because most people would have to work hard for the extra money they need to support themselves.
I actually did agree with you that the system is not fair as well so I don't know why you are trying to argue... It sucks that they don't give the full amount to families earning over £25k or whatever because thats not even a very high salary and certainly doesn't make you rich.
I'm just pointing out that actually £10k is not all that much money when apparently the average spent by a student is £12000 ish. Some perspective for you so perhaps you will see the positives in your own situation instead of complaining.
Reply 58
Original post by Shashasheesh
Of course you have to pay interest, its a loan!

http://www.nus.org.uk/en/advice/money-and-funding/average-costs-of-living-and-study/ The average costs of being a student according to nus.org.uk:

Roughly equals:

£709 travel
£1070 books & equipment
£5000 rent
£40 insurance
£2000 food
£300 for household goods

This would be the absolute basic amount for most people (London costs more) and it comes to over £9000 not including any leisure/clothes/nights out/extra travelling etc... If the girl you're moaning about really budgets that well then fair play to her! Most people are barely scraping by with their government funding alone. Obviously some areas in the UK are more expensive than others so it might be that living in some parts of the country would leave you with money to spare but that is simply not the case for most people.

You should be considering yourself lucky that you have parents who are happy to help you out because most people would have to work hard for the extra money they need to support themselves.
I actually did agree with you that the system is not fair as well so I don't know why you are trying to argue... It sucks that they don't give the full amount to families earning over £25k or whatever because thats not even a very high salary and certainly doesn't make you rich.
I'm just pointing out that actually £10k is not all that much money when apparently the average spent by a student is £12000 ish. Some perspective for you so perhaps you will see the positives in your own situation instead of complaining.

All you've just done is point out that if I lived like an "average" student ID cost my parents even more money. MY costs are £5250 for accomodation and I live on £60 a week (£2640 a year). I get nothing else because I don't want to ask my parents for anymore. So I live on £7890 a year, and people who live on loans and bursaries get around £10k.... So thank you very much for pointing out the NEGATIVES of my situation...:smile:
All you've just done is point out that if I lived like an "average" student ID cost my parents even more money. MY costs are £5250 for accomodation and I live on £60 a week (£2640 a year). I get nothing else because I don't want to ask my parents for anymore. So I live on £7890 a year, and people who live on loans and bursaries get around £10k.... So thank you very much for pointing out the NEGATIVES of my situation...:smile:

The maximum loan and grant (outside london) is just over £7000 so not just where you're getting the 10k figure from. This isn't including university bursaries, and not all universities offer substantial ones if at all, mine offers a £500 bursary for students with a household income under £21,000

Edit: also I'm not having a go at you or just trying to prove you wrong, I just don't get where you got the 10k figure from.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending